William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845[Transcription copyright © Paddy Apling]
LANGFORD parish, 8 miles S. of Swaffham, has only 57 inhabitants, and 1248 acres of land, belonging to Lord Ashburton and Lord Berners, who are alternate patrons of the rectory, which is valued in the King's Book at £4.15s.9d., and consolidated with that of Ickborough. The tithes of the two parishes were commuted in 1840 for £248 per annum, and the Rev. John Raven, B.A., is the incumbent.
Langford Church (St. Andrew) contains a marble monument in memory of Sir Jacob Garrard, who was lord of the manor, and was created a baronet in 1662. Mr. H.E. Knollis, steward to Lord Ashburton, occupies the Manor House, and Mr. J. Rollison, of Ickborough, farms part of the parish.
See also the Langford parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.