William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1864
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
LANGFORD parish, 8 miles S. of Swaffham, has only 62 inhabitants, and 1405A. of land, belonging to Lord Ashburton and W.A.T. Amhurst, Esq., the former of whom is patron of the rectory, which is valued in the King's Book at £4. 15s. 9d., and consolidated with that of Ickborough. The tithes of the two parishes were commuted in 1840 for £248 per annum, and the Rev. John Raven, B.A., of Mundford, is the incumbnt.
Langford Church (Saint Andrew) has a nave, south porch, and chancel. It contains a piscina, a tablet to General Sir James Pulteney, Bart., and a marble monument in memory of Sir Jacob Garrard, who was lord of the manor, and was created a baronet in 1662.
Captain Fredk. Caldwell, steward to Lord Ashburton, occupies the Manor House, and Messrs. J. and J.P. Rollison, of Ickborough, farm part of the parish.
POST from Swaffham.
See also the Langford parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.