"LANGFORD parish, 8 miles S. of Swaffham, has only 57 inhabitants, and 1248 acres of land, belonging to Lord Ashburton and Lord Berners, who are alternate patrons of the rectory, which is valued in the King's Book at £4.15s.9d., and consolidated with that of Ickborough. The tithes of the two parishes were commuted in 1840 for £248 per annum, and the Rev. John Raven, B.A., is the incumbent. Langford Church (St. Andrew) contains a marble monument in memory of Sir Jacob Garrard, who was lord of the manor, and was created a baronet in 1662. Mr. H.E. Knollis, steward to Lord Ashburton, occupies the Manor House, and Mr. J. Rollison, of Ickborough, farms part of the parish." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Paddy Apling]
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Cranwich, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Andrew.
- Church of St Andrew
- Description and pictures.
- Tricker, Roy
- St Andrew's Church, Langford, Norfolk: A short history and guide.
- Farrow, Charles W. and Palgrave-Moore, Patrick
- Langford Church of England Parish Registers 1692-1837; transcribed and indexed.
[Norwich, Norfolk and Norwich Genealogical Society, 1987]
- These are not included in Boyd's Marriage Index or Phillimore's Marriage Registers.
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Church Records
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
- 1854: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
- 1864: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
- 1883: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
- 1883: Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk and Suffolk
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Directories
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Langford to another place.
Langford is in South Greenhoe hundred.
You can see the administrative areas in which Langford has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL839966 (Lat/Lon: 52.536012, 0.709302), Langford which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)