"LANGLEY is a parish of dispersed dwellings, extending from the river Yare, southward, to within a mile of Loddon, and about 10 miles S.E. of Norwich. It has 323 inhabitants, and 2,700A. of land, of which 1,000A. are in low marshes. The CHURCH (St. Michael,) is a small but interesting building, with a square tower. It was thoroughly repaired by the Beauchamp family, about 1803, and its windows filled with ancient and modern stained glass, at the cost of the Dowager Lady Beauchamp. The curacy, certified at £20, and valued in 1831 at £45, was augmented, from 1772 to 1824, with £600 of Q.A.B. It is in the incumbency of the Rev. Thos. Wm. Henry Beauchamp, of Chedgrave, and patronage of Sir Wm. Beauchamp Proctor, Bart., the impropriator, owner of the soil, and lord of the manor, who resides at Langley Hall, a large and elegant mansion, in a beautiful park of 800A., chiefly erected about the year 1740, by Mr. Recorder Berney, of Norwich, and finished by George Proctor, Esq. . . . About a mile from the church is Langley Staith, with a small navigable stream, crossing the marshes to the Yare." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Mike Bristow]
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Brooke, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Michael.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Langley to another place.
Langley is in Loddon Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Loddon Hundred
- Description of Loddon Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Langley has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TG356010 (Lat/Lon: 52.555533, 1.473886), Langley which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
These figures are from the population tables which were produced after the 10-yearly national censuses. The "Families" heading includes families and single occupiers.
There may be more people living in detached parts of the parish (if there were any) and, if so, the number may or may not be included in the figures above. It is quite difficult to be sure from the population tables.
- 1901 Census
- "Including Langley Green."