William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845[Transcription copyright © Peter Green]
LESSINGHAM, 8 miles E. by S. of North Walsham, and 3½ miles N.N.E. of Stalham, has in its parish 241 souls and 640A. of land, mostly belonging to Mr B. Cubitt, but the manor is held by King's College, Cambridge.
The Church (All Saints,) is a rectory, valued in the King's Book at £6, and consolidated with Hempstead. The glebe here is 21A.1R.16P., and the tithes were commuted in 1841 for £240 per ann. Here was a Priory, subject to Bec abbey in Normandy, but it was suppressed in the reign of Henry VI.
The Poor's Allotment, 3A.32P., was awarded at the enclosure. In 1727, the Rev. Jonathan Chaloner left to this parish the yearly sums of £4 for schooling three children, and £4.6s. for the poor, who have also £1.7s.8d. per annum, left by John Ringer, Oliver Hartstrong, and Thos. Smith.
Bird Robert gardener Buffham Thomas wheelwright Clements Thomas blacksmith Clements Benjamin shoemaker Drake Charles blacksmith Harris Thomas tailor Hewitt Rev. Jno. curate of Walcot Nurse Robert saddler Payne Benjamin vict., Star Postle Wm. tailor Waterson Geo. tailor and hatter Waterson Mrs Sarah Wilkin Robert bricklayer Woodrow Charles grocer & draper FARMERS. Frarey Robert (owner) Hewitt Aaron Hewitt Charles Nurse Edmund Watts Thomas
CARRIER, Edm. Press to Yarmouth.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
See also the Lessingham parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.