Norfolk: East Lexham
William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
LEXHAM, (EAST) 2 miles W. of Litcham, has in its parish 236 souls, and 1,048 acres of land, nearly all the property of F.W. Keppel, Esq., the lord of the manor, who resides at the Hall, a neat mansion pleasantly seated in a small park, within a mile of Litcham.
The Church (St. Andrew,) has a round ivy-mantled tower, and is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £8. 6s., and consolidated with that of Litcham. In the chancel are several monuments of the Keppel family.
The Poor's Allotment, awarded in 1797, comprise, 19A. let for £15, 7A., on which fuel is cut; and 2A., on which the poor turn geese and cattle. In 1629, Wm. Allee charged lands, now belonging to F.W. Keppel, Esq., with the yearly payments of 40s., to each of the parishes of East and West Lexham, Great Dunham, Beeston-juxta-Mileham, Litcham, and Castleacre; and 20s., to Newton-by-Castleacre, for the poor.
Here is a small National School, built by F.W. Keppel, Esq.
Clark Mary vict., Chequers Keppel Frederick Hall Walpole, Esq. Leatherdale Frederick shopkeeper Moore John miller farmers Burton John Childs Henry Middleton Jph. Hunter Rawdon
See also the East Lexham parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.