"LINGWOOD is a scattered village, 8 miles E. of Norwich. Its parish has 643A. of fertile land, and had 473 inhabitants in 1841, including 102 in the Blofield Union Workhouse . . . . H.N. Burroughes, Esq., M.P., and the Rev. Jeremiah Burroughes, own most of the soil. The latter has a pleasant seat here, and supports a school for 20 poor children; and the former is lord of the manor, impropriator, and patron of the Church, (St. Peter,) which is a perpetual curacy, certified at £11. 0s. 6d., and now enjoyed by the Rev. Thos. Lyon Fellowes. It was valued in 1831 at £50, and augmented, from 1762 to 1824, with £1000 of Queen Anne's Bounty, of which £400 remains at interest, and the rest was laid out in 20A. of land at Martham and Tunstall." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Blofield, in the archdeaconry of Norwich.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Peter.
- These are not included in Boyd's Marriage Index or Phillimore's Marriage Registers.
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Church Records
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Lingwood to another place.
Lingwood is in Blofield Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Blofield Hundred
- Description of Blofield Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Lingwood has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TG363084 (Lat/Lon: 52.622174, 1.490106), Lingwood which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
After 1834 Lingwood became part of the Blofield Union, and the workhouse was in this parish.
- Blofield Union
- Parishes in the union, their arrangements for the poor before 1834, etc.
- Blofield Union and Workhouse
- Description from White's Directory of Norfolk, 1845.
- Blofield Union and Workhouse
- Description and pictures.
- Guardians of the Blofield Union
- October 1835 to March 1836.
- Serreau, Audrey
- Times and Years: A History of the Blofield Union Workhouse at Lingwood in Norfolk.
[ISBN 0948903937, Bungay, Morrow and Co, 2000]
These figures are from the population tables which were produced after the 10-yearly national censuses. The "Families" heading includes families and single occupiers.
There may be more people living in detached parts of the parish (if there were any) and, if so, the number may or may not be included in the figures above. It is quite difficult to be sure from the population tables.
- 1821 Census
- "An inclosure of land, and small tenements built thereon, is mentioned, in the Return of Lingwood, as having caused an increase of Population".
- 1851 Census
- "The Return includes 102 persons in 1841, and 135 in 1851, in the Blofield Union Workhouse".
- 1911 Census
- The total included 95 people in the workhouse.