William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
LITCHAM, formerly a market town, and now a large and well-built village, formed into several streets, distant 8 miles N.E. by N. of Swaffham, and 24 miles W. by N. of Norwich, includes within its parish 846 inhabitants, and about 1800 acres of land, of which about 1300 acres belong to F.W. Keppel, Esq., who purchased the manor of Lord Wodehouse, about the year 1833. The rest belongs to a number of smaller proprietors, except 128 acres, which lie in five small commons, on which the inhabitants have right of pasturage and cutting fuel.
In the 20th of Edw. I., Robt. de Felton had the grant of a weekly market at his manor of Litcham, and a fair yearly on the day and morrow of All Saints; but the market has long been obsolete. Two pleasure fairs are now held on November 1st and Whit-Tuesday.
On one of the small commons, there was formerly a hermitage, occupied by Thomas Cannon.
The CHURCH (All Saints) has a square brick tower, built by Matthew Halcott, who recast the five bells. It has recently been slated and repaired. In the chancel are memorials of the families of Neal, Lawrence, Glover, Lynes, and Halcott. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £9. 2s., and in 1831 at £541, with that of East Lexham annexed to it, in the gift of Lord Wodehouse, and incumbency of the Honourable and Reverend Alfred Wodehouse, B.A. The glebe is 45 acres, and the tithes have been commuted for about £440 per annum.
Here is a National School, and a Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist Chapels.
In the village is a small Almshouse, for the residence of two poor aged people, founded in 1677, by John Halcott, who endowed it with a yearly rent-charge of £10, out of the farm at Beeston, called Barkhams. The poor parishioners have the following yearly doles:- £1. 12s. from Alee's Charity, (see East Lexham;) £3, left by Sir Thos. Wodehouse, in 1634, out of the manor farm; £2, left by Martha Glover, in 1741, out of land called Minns; and 35s., left by Matthew Halcott, in 1673. The Poor's Land, 6A. 2R. 35P., partly purchased with £30 benefaction money, in 1709, and partly allotted at the enclosure, in 1765, is divided into 31 garden plots, let to poor persons, at rents amounting to £14. 13s. 4d. per ann.
Petty Sessions are held on the first Wednesday in every month, at the Bull Inn, where the Launditch Societies, for encouraging industry, and prosecuting felons, hold their meetings. Mr. Thomas Palmer is solicitor to the latter.
Adams Wm. schoolmaster Ashley John butcher Attoe Mr Wm. Baker Wm. Carmichael animal and portrait painter Baley Mrs E. Balls Edward brazier and tinner Blinkinsop John merchant & miller Bridgman Rhoda blacksmith Carmichael John plumbr. painter, &c Carter James veterinary surgeon Copeman Abel Benj & James Wm. saddlers, &c Copeman Mrs. academy Curtis Wm. joiner and builder Fitt William baker Howard Thomas basket maker Jump Charles J. surgeon [see note below] King John smith and wheelwright King Mrs C. dress maker Lynes Douglas merchant & maltster Palmer Nathl. veterinary surgeon Palmer Thomas solicitor Pile Wm. joiner, builder, surveyor, & agt to Norwich Union Fire Office Pond Thomas agriculturist Ransome John druggist Raven Peter surgeon Raven Peter gent. Sendall Emma straw hat maker Stanford Mrs. Walker Sarah watch maker Wallis Cphr. surgeon [see note below] Wodehouse Hon and Rev A. rector Wright Miss Patience Wright Chas. solicitor, supt. regr., and clerk to Union, Magistrates, and Commissioners of Taxes INNS AND TAVERNS. Bunton John Bull Inn Copeman John Green Dragon, and brewer Sizeland Robt. Violet King's Arms, (and plumber, painter, &c) Wiseman Jas. New Inn (& brewer) FARMERS. Askew Robert Attoe Wm. jun. Carter John Cook Chas. High House Hill Chas. Case (steward) Raven Thomas Stanford Henry Grocers & Drprs. Burton John Leatherdale Fdk. Smithson Jno. (& ironmonger) Shoemakers. Banham George Johnson Thos. Johnson John Perry Wm. Powell Jacob Took Wm. Tailors. Bulman Wm. (& upholsterer) Bulman W. jun. King Benj. King Wm.
POST-OFFICE at F. Leatherdale's. Letters by mail gig from Swaffham daily
COACH, Bett's, to Norwich, Sat. 6½ morning
CARRIER. Jas. Betts, to Norwich, Tue. & Fri., & to Lynn, Mon. & Thu. mg.
Note: in the original this is
Wallis Cphr. and Jump Charles J. surgeons
See also the Litcham parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.