Norfolk: Long Stratton St. Mary
William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845[Transcription copyright © Ann Duncan]
STRATTON ST. MARY, or LONG STRATTON, is a small Market Town, on the Roman street or way which led to Caistor; being 10 miles S. by W. of Norwich, 9 miles N. by E. of Scole Inn, and 100 miles N.E. of London. Its parish contains 690 inhabitants, and 1517A. of land, including the hamlet of Wood-green, 1 mile E.N.E. of the town, which forms a long street of good houses.
It has a small corn MARKET every Tuesday afternoon, at the Angel Inn, and two FAIRS yearly, on Whit-Tuesday and October 12th, for pedlery, &c. Here is also a Hiring Session on the day before that at Shottisham. The lord of the manor and principal owner of the soil is the Rev. Ellis Burroughes, of Stratton House, a handsome brick mansion on a pleasant eminence. The Hall, which had a deep moat, is now a farm house.
In 1773, several Roman urns were found here in a gravel pit, six feet below the surface; and about a furlong from the town was discovered a hearth, four yards square, and having upon it ashes and burnt earth, three inches deep, with two imperfect copper coins.
The CHURCH (St. Mary,) is a large handsome fabric, with an ancient round tower, containing five bells, and surmounted by a short spire. The tower is much older than the church, the latter being rebuilt about 1330, by Sir Roger de Burgh, and his family, to whom here are many monumental memorials; but all their brasses, except two, are gone. The late rector, who held the living from 1795 till 1842, decorated the east window with stained glass, in 1805. At the east end of the chancel lie the effigies of Judge Reeve and his lady; the former died in 1647, and the latter in 1657.
The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £10, is in the gift of Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge, and incumbency of of the Rev. Fredk. Wm. Hill Jerrard. The glebe is about 40A., and the tithes were commuted in 1838 for £468 per annum.
The Independents and the Methodists have each a chapel in the parish; and Petty Sessions are held at the Swan Inn, every Tuesday. Mr. John. Hotson is clerk to the Magistrates.
The poor have two yearly rent-charges of 26s. each, one left by John Reeve, in 1687, out of the Swan Inn, and the other left by Eliz. Bayspool, out of land at Wacton. They have also a house and 3 roods of land, left by Nicholas Porter, in 1578.
The POST OFFICE, established in 1785, is at Mr. George Barnes', and letters are despatched to London, &c., at nine evening, and to Norwich at half-past four morning.
Aldis James schoolmaster and regr Aldis Mr. Geo. [See note below] Aldis Wm. colt breaker [See note below] Barnes George baker & postmaster Barton Henry surgeon Beckwith Wm. D. surveyor of taxes Brewster James gun maker Bunn Henry blacksmith & ironmgr Bunn Abraham Henry druggist Burgess Robert saddler, &c Burgess Margt. straw hat maker Burroughes Rev. Ellis Stratton Hs. Calver James solicitor Carver Rev Charles Coates Wm. hay dealer Dix Jane dress maker Godfrey Robert cooper Gooch Wm. patten maker Hooke Wm. confectioner, (servants' register office) Hotson John solicitor, and Union clerk, supt. registrar, &c Jerrard Col.and Rev F.W.H. Mears Wm. hairdresser & glover Osborne James saddler, &c Peck Edmund hairdresser & inspector of weights and measures Perfitt Robert Stephen auctioneer Ringer Thomas miller and baker Robertson Wm. miller Smith Wm. baker Utting John surgeon Walpole Jonas saddler INNS AND TAVERNS. Alborough Honor Queen's Head Baker George Angel (posting) (empty) Swan Inn Beer Houses. Bricklayers. Breeze Thomas Farrow John Everett Samuel Howell George Perfitt Jas. & Son (and masons) Boot & ShoeMkrs. Butchers. Browne Robert Alborough Chs. Springall Benj. Fisher Edward Warnes Charles Goldspink Waters Pottle Wm. FARMERS (* are owners.) Back Wm. (Hall) Hotson Wales *Bassingthwaighte John *Howes John Browne George Levell Richard *Bunn Wm. Phillippo Elisha *Fryer Sus. Tubby John Gilbert Samuel Grocers, &c. Plumbers, Glaziers, & Painters. Barnes John Baxter Robert Long Wm. Fisher Edward Starr Henry Reeve Samuel West John Gill Joiners, &c. Tailors. (* are Wheelgts.) Bales James Hammond John *Cannell Henry Long Richard Field Robert Youngman Wm. *Noble Geo. (& gig maker)
COACHES & the Mail to Norwich & London, daily
CARRIER, Edw. Aldis to Norwich, Wed. & Saturday
Note: In the original this is:
Aldis Mr. Geo.||Wm. colt breaker
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
See also the Long Stratton parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.