Norfolk: Long Stratton St. Michael
William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845[Transcription copyright © Ann Duncan]
STRATTON ST. MICHAEL, a scattered village, 11 miles S. of Norwich, adjoins Long Stratton, on the south; and has in its parish 273 souls, and 1050 acres of land, including the hamlet of Rise Green, 1 mile S. of the church. The soil belongs to various owners, and lies in the manors of the adjacent parishes.
Here were formerly two churches, but that dedicated to St. Peter, was dilapidated in the reign of Henry VII., and its rectory consolidated with that of St. Michael's, which is an ancient structure, with a short square tower. The joint rectories, valued in the King's Book at £6. 12s. 8d., and in 1831 at £397, are in the gift of New College, Oxford, and incumbency of the Rev. C. H. Bayly. The glebe is 27A., and the tithes have been commuted for £348 per annum, of which £9. 18s. belongs to the rector of Long Stratton.
Here is a Wesleyan Chapel, built in 1838.
The Rev. John Cowan, in 1509, left a cottage and garden for the poor, and 6A. of land for the use of the church.
Bayly Rev. Chas. Henville Rectory Bloy Francis farmer Breeze Thomas gardener Carver Walter gent. Claxton James shoemaker Cunningham John watchmaker Field Robert cabinet maker Godfrey Robert cooper Gwyn Richard, Esq. Mears William glover Warmoll Mrs. Hannah
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
See also the Long Stratton parish page.
Copyright © Pat Newby.