"LONGHAM, 4½ miles W.N.W. of East Dereham, is a scattered village and parish, containing 333 souls, and 1248 acres of land, chiefly the property of the Earl of Leicester, the lord of the manor, (fine certain,) impropriator, and patron of the Church, (St. Peter,) which is a perpetual curacy, valued in 1831 at £30, and now enjoyed by the Rev. Robert Howlett. From 1756 to 1792, the curacy was augmented with £1000 of Queen Anne's Bounty." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
- Mid-Norfolk Family History Society
- The Monumental Inscriptions of the Church and Churchyard of St Andrew and St Peter, Longham, Norfolk.
[Mid-Norfolk Family History Society, 1999?]
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Cemeteries
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Brisley, in the archdeaconry of Norwich.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Andrew, or St Peter, or St Andrew and St Peter.
- Purple, Jennifer J.
- The Parish Registers for St Andrew's Church, Longham.
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Church Records
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Longham to another place.
Longham is in Launditch Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Launditch Hundred
- Description of Launditch Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Longham has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TF941157 (Lat/Lon: 52.703955, 0.871181), Longham which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)