"LOPHAM, (NORTH) a pleasant village, 3½ miles S.E. by S. of East Harling, has in its parish 815 inhabitants, and 1,966A. of land, of which 900A., called Lopham Park, belong to the Duke of Norfolk, the lord of the manor, in which are numerous small copyholds, subject to arbitrary fines. This manor comprehends also South Lopham; and the two villages have long been famous for the manufacture of linen or hempen cloth; and though but little yarn is now spun here by hand-wheels, here are about 100 looms employed in weaving sheeting, diaper, huckaback, &c. . . . The CHURCH (St. Nicholas) is a large and handsome structure, with a square tower; and the living is a rectory, valued in the King's Book at £17. 0s. 5½d., and in 1831, at £642, with that of South Lopham annexed to it, in the gift of G.H. Barrow, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. Jas. Barrow, M.A. . . .Here is a small Wesleyan Chapel, built in 1811." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
North Lopham is about 6 miles W.N.W. of Diss.
See also South Lopham.
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Rockland, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Nicholas.
- Church of St Nicholas
- Description and pictures.
For the civil registration of births, marriages and deaths between 1837 and 1902 (and for the censuses of 1851 to 1901), North Lopham was in Guiltcross Registration District.
This district was abolished on 1st April 1902 and, from then until 1930, North Lopham was in Thetford Registration District for civil registration.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from North Lopham to another place.
North Lopham is in Guiltcross Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Guiltcross Hundred
- Description of Guiltcross Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which North Lopham has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Great Britain: Statute
- North Lopham and South Lopham Inclosure Act, 1812.
An act for inclosing lands in North Lopham and South Lopham, in the county of Norfolk: 5 May 1812.
[London, Luke Hansard and Sons, printers, 1812]
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TM036832 (Lat/Lon: 52.408493, 0.991428), North Lopham which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)