Norfolk: North Lopham
William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
LOPHAM (NORTH), a village 3½ miles S.E. by S. of East Harling, has its parish in Guiltcross union and hundred, Guiltcross and Shropham petty sessional division, Diss county court district, Ipswich bankruptcy district, Harling polling district of South Norfolk, Rockland rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 674 inhabitants in 1881, living on 2000 acres, and had a rateable value of £3153.
Lopham Park, which extends over 900 acres, belongs to the Duke of Norfolk, but H.E. Garrod, Esq., of Diss, is lord of the manor, in which are numerous small copyholds, subject to arbitrary fines. This manor comprehends also South Lopham; and the two villages have long been famous for the manufacture of linen or hempen cloth; and though but little yarn is now spun here by hand-wheels, here are several looms employed in weaving sheeting, diaper, huckaback, damask, &c., which are sold unbleached by the manufacturers, who hawk them in their own carts over this and the adjacent counties.
The CHURCH (St. Nicholas) is a large and handsome structure, comprising nave, south aisle, chancel, porch, and square tower. The chancel was restored in 1862. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £17 0s. 5½d., is consolidated with South Lopham. The benefice has a small rectorial manor in the two adjoining parishes, and must be given to a fellow of St. John's College, Cambridge. The tithes of this parish were commuted in 1845 for £303 per annum, and here are 5A. 2R. of glebe.
The SCHOOL BOARD was formed May 26, 1877, and now consists of Messrs. John W. Bobby (chairman), Thomas Womack (vice-chairman), Edward Muskett, Stephen Holden, and Stephen Beales. Mr. F. Fowell, Garboldisham, is clerk. The National School, erected 1871, is now only used as a Sunday school, and is let for concerts.
The Burial Board, formed in 1870, consists of nine members, three of whom retire annually. The cemetery adjoining the churchyard is 1A. 20P.: the land cost £80, and the Board have spent £150. Rev. - Bateman is chairman.
The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel here.
Mary Williamson, in 1696, left 7A. 1R. 20P. of land, at Garboldisham, for apprenticing poor children, or clothing the poor of this parish. The Fuel Allotment, 103A. 2R. 11P., was awarded at the enclosure, in 1815. The Town Lands, partly purchased, and partly given by Robert Bringloe, in 1687, and other donors, consist of about 43A., in the parishes of Lopham, Garboldisham, and Shelfanger. They are let, with two cottages, at rents amounting to £80 per annum, a portion of which is applied in the service of the church. Here are also a house and garden, occupied by several poor families. The Fuel Allotment and Town Lands are now administered under a new scheme. Mr. H.H. Beales is clerk.
LETTERS through East Harling arrive at 7.30 a.m. Pillar Box cleared at 5 p.m., Sundays 10.30 a.m. Kenninghall is the nearest Money Order Office.
Anderson Wm. frmr. Chesnut Tree frm Banham Richard baker & coal dealer Barham Ph. tailor, parish clerk, and school attendance officer Beales Mrs Grace vict. Black Horse Beales Herbert Hy. vict. King's Head. clerk to Charity Trustees Beales Samuel butcher and farmer Beales Mr Stephen Beales Stephen, jun. linen manufctr Beales Wm. carpenter & wheelwright Bobby John Wragg flour seller, newsagent, agent to the Suffolk Alliance Fire Office Bowell Jas. shoemaker & vict. Bull Bowell Robert farmer & landowner Bowell Thos. farmer and landowner Brock Fredk. farmer and dealer Brown Chas. farmer, The Lodge Buckenham Mrs Georgina The Limes Buckenham T.W. & J. linen mnufcts.; and 65 Berners st. Oxford st. W. Butcher George farmer Cattermole Richard fruit dealer Chamberlain Mr Thomas Cobb Coleby baker Coe John boot and shoemaker Coe Robert boot and shoemaker Edwards Edgar tailor Emms William farmer Fletcher Mrs Rhoda Rose Villa Foster William bricklayer Gooch John fowl dealer Hinds Wm. Thos. vet. surgeon, regtd Holden James farmer Holden Stephen farmer & fruit dlr Howe Charles farmer and landowner Hubbard Charles farmer Kettle Alfred plumber Laud Mr Christopher Laud George carpenter Laud Walter farmer Laud Walter Edward linen manufactr Ling Robert blacksmith Mann - & Mrs. master and mistress at Board school Murton Charles linen manufacturer Murton John linen manufacturer Newsom Geo. Wm. linen manufactr Pearce Wm. vict. Bell, and farmer Reeve Righteous John thatcher Robinson Thomas farmer Rolfe Horace farmer Rolfe Mr Walter Ruddock Alfred tailor & shopkeeper Shaw Arthur Geo. vict. Cherry Tree, and fishmonger Taylor David bricklayer Taylor Thomas bricklayer Thomson Rev. John, M.A. curate Walker Isaac carpenter Wharton Miss Mary Ann The Grange Whitmore Mrs. farmer Womack John farmer & linen mnuftr Womack John Wharton grcr. & drpr Womack Thos. farmer, Park farm Womack Thos. Wm. grocer & draper (Pattinson & W.), coal & lime merchants, East Harling road station Womack Wm. John coach builder, wheelwright, & farmer, The Ashes
See also the North Lopham parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.