"LOPHAM, (SOUTH) is a village and parish, adjoining and participating in the linen trade, &c., of North Lopham. It is 4 miles S.E. by S. of East Harling, and 5 miles W. by N. of Diss, and contains 724 inhabitants, and 1932A. 2R. 27P. of land, but only 1651 acres are assessable. It is the same manor as North Lopham, and belongs mostly to the Duke of Norfolk and Edwd. Bridgman, Esq., . . . The CHURCH (St. Andrew) is a large antique fabric, with a fine Norman tower rising between the nave and chancel. The tower has 8 bells, and is much older than the nave and chancel, the former being rebuilt after 1479, and the latter about the year 1370. The rectory is consolidated with North Lopham, and has a good parsonage-house, with 41A. 1R. 13P. of glebe. . . . On the east side of the two Lophams, in the swampy grounds, called Lopham Gate, are two copious springs, which give rise to the rivers Waveney and Little Ouse, the former running eastward to Yarmouth, and the latter westward to Thetford and Lynn; and both forming the boundary of Norfolk and Suffolk." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
See also North Lopham.
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Rockland, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Andrew.
- Church of St Andrew
- Description and pictures.
For the civil registration of births, marriages and deaths between 1837 and 1902 (and for the censuses of 1851 to 1901), South Lopham was in Guiltcross Registration District.
This district was abolished on 1st April 1902 and, from then until 1930, South Lopham was in Thetford Registration District for civil registration.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from South Lopham to another place.
South Lopham is in Guiltcross Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Guiltcross Hundred
- Description of Guiltcross Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which South Lopham has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TM042814 (Lat/Lon: 52.392521, 0.99924), South Lopham which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)