Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Lyng

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

Lyng

Primary tabs

"LYNG, a pleasant village, on the south side of the river Wensum, 6 miles N.E. by E. of East Dereham, and 5 miles S.W. of Reepham, has in its parish a large corn and paper mill, 1899A. 2R. 22P. of fertile land, and 601 inhabitants, of whom 86 are in EASTHAUGH, a small hamlet, on an eminence, one mile S. of the village. Edward Lombe, Esq., is lord of the manor, (fine arbitrary,) but a great part of the soil belongs to H.T. Custance, S. Mills, and Robert Mitford, Esqrs., and several smaller owners. In the 17th of Edward III., Sir John de Norwich had license to make a castle of the manor-house, some traces of which are still extant on the crown of an acclivity west of the village. . . .The Church (St Michael,) has a tower and six bells, and in its windows are some fragments of stained glass. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £11. 0s. 6d., and in 1839 at £508, has 58A. 3R. 5P. of glebe. E. Lombe, Esq., is patron, and the Rev. Henry Evans, incumbent. The Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel here." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Jayne Cole]

The name may also be spelled Ling.
It includes the hamlet of Easthaugh.

topup

Cemeteries

Author unknown
Lyng Memorial Inscriptions.
Tombstones, Memorials and Burial Records, 1567-2002.
[2003?]

See also Norfolk Parish Links: Cemeteries

topup
topup

Church Directories

  • In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Sparham, in the archdeaconry of Norwich.
    It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
  • The parish church is dedicated to St Margaret in some records, and to St Michael in others.
    There are ruins of an ancient chapel of St Edmund.
topup

Church History

Church of St Margaret
Description and pictures.
Church of St Margaret
Services, etc.
 
Chapel of St Edmund
Description and picture of the ruins.
topup

Church Records

Marriages
These are not included in Boyd's Marriage Index or Phillimore's Marriage Registers.

See also Norfolk Parish Links: Church Records

topup

Civil Registration

For the civil registration of births, marriages and deaths between 1837 and 1930 (and for the censuses from 1851 to 1901), Lyng was in Mitford and Launditch Registration District.

See also Norfolk Parish Links: Civil Registration

topup

Description and Travel

Baker, Kay
Guide to Lyng.
[J and A Graphics, 1986]
Lyng Water Mill
Description, history and pictures.

See also Norfolk Parish Links: Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Lyng which are provided by:

topup
topup

Gazetteers

Ask for a calculation of the distance from Lyng to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.

topup

Historical Geography

Lyng is in Eynsford Hundred.

Parish outline and location.
See Parish Map for Eynsford Hundred
Description of Eynsford Hundred
1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk

You can see the administrative areas in which Lyng has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

Lyng History Group
Lyng: A Village in the Wensum Valley: A Miscellany.
[Lyng, Lyng History Group, 1993]
Sayer, Michael John
Lyng.
[Aylsham, F.C. Barnwell, 1983]
topup
topup
topup
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law etc.

topup

Population

These figures are from the population tables which were produced after the 10-yearly national censuses. The "Families" heading includes families and single occupiers.

Year   Inhabited
Houses
Families Population
1801 101 105 496
1811   73 104 502
1821   73 117 581
1831   86 138 645
1841 137 --- 601
1851 145 --- 656
Year   Inhabited
Houses
Families Population
1861 141 --- 590
1871 129 133 529
1881 126 128 499
1891 119 119 437
1901 107 107 418
1911 --- 112 452

There may be more people living in detached parts of the parish (if there were any) and, if so, the number may or may not be included in the figures above. It is quite difficult to be sure from the population tables.

1841 Census
"Lyng Parish includes Lyng Easthaugh Hamlet."
1901 Census
"Including Easthaugh and Primrose Green."
topup