William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845[Transcription copyright © Jayne Cole]
LYNG, a pleasant village, on the south side of the river Wensum, 6 miles N.E. by E. of East Dereham, and 5 miles S.W. of Reepham, has in its parish a large corn and paper mill, 1899A. 2R. 22P. of fertile land, and 601 inhabitants, of whom 86 are in EASTHAUGH, a small hamlet, on an eminence, one mile S. of the village.
Edward Lombe, Esq., is lord of the manor, (fine arbitrary,) but a great part of the soil belongs to H.T. Custance, S. Mills, and Robert Mitford, Esqrs., and several smaller owners. In the 17th of Edward III., Sir John de Norwich had license to make a castle of the manor-house, some traces of which are still extant on the crown of an acclivity west of the village.
A fair is held fiere [sic, ie here] on Nov.20th.
The Church (St Michael,) has a tower and six bells, and in its windows are some fragments of stained glass. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £11. 0s. 6d., and in 1839 at £508, has 58A. 3R. 5P. of glebe. E. Lombe, Esq., is patron, and the Rev. Henry Evans, incumbent.
The Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel here.
The Church Land, 2A. 28P., is let for £2. 6s. At the enclosure, in 1808, 16A. 1R. 9P. was awarded to the poor for fuel. In 1618, Solomon Leech left the yearly rent charges of £2. 12s. for the poor, 10s. for a sermon, and 1s.4d. for repairing the bell ropes. The poor have also the yearly doles of 20s., left by John Starling, in 1728; and 5s., left by the Rev. Thomas Roberts.
In the following Directory, those marked * are at EASTHAUGH, and the rest at LYNG.
* Blythe James painter, glazier, &c Brown Geo. Esq. & Rev Wm. B.A. Filby George miller & beerhs. kpr Francis Sarah vict. King's Head Gath Francis vict. Fox & Hounds Mace Barnabas smith and farrier Money Wm. paper mfr. & miller [See note below] Murray William bricklayer Nicholson John butcher & lime brnr Robberds Chas. Augustus paper mfr. & miller [See note below] Town Thomas schoolmaster Bakers. Cobers William Howard William FARMERS. Bloom John * Blythe James * Bunn William Bunn Samuel English James Frost William Manor House Mace Barnabas Nicholson John Patrick Dennis * Spragg Samuel * Terrey Theodrk. Waters W. & Rd. * Wright John * Wilkin Samuel Grocers & Dprs. Baker Chas. regr [sic] Smith John Stebbings George Shoemakers. Burton John Filby Miles Francis Sarah Howard Abrahm. Speakman Austin Tailors. Frost Robert Hudson Wm. Wheelwrights. Isbel Charles Porter Charles
Note: In the original, this is:
Robberds (Chas. Augustus,) & Money (Wm.) paper mfrs. & millers
See also the Lyng parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.