William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
LYNG, a village on the south side of the river Wensum, 6 miles N.E. by E. of East Dereham, and 5 miles S.W. of Reepham, is in Mitford and Launditch union, East Dereham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Eynsford hundred and petty sessional division, Reepham polling district of North Norfolk, Sparham rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry. The rateable value is £2914, and the parish had 499 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1899 acres of fertile land. The parish includes EASTHAUGH, a small hamlet on an eminence, one mile south of the village.
The owners are the Rev. H.E. Lombe, Sir Hambleton Custance, K.C.B., and Messrs. William Cadywold and William Wright. The Rev. H.E. Lombe is patron of the living and lord of the manor. In 1343, Sir John de Norwich had license to make a castle of the manor house, some traces of which are still extant on the crown of an aclivity east of the village. A fair used to be held here on November 20, for stock and pleasure.
The CHURCH (St. Michael) has a tower and six bells, and was restored and reseated about twenty-two years ago. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £11 0s. 6d., and now at £528, has 58A. 3R. 5P. of glebe. The Rev. Henry Evans Lombe, B.A., is patron, and the Rev. C. Jex-Blake, M.A., incumbent.
The Wesleyan Reformers and the Primitive Methodists have each a chapel here. The NATIONAL SCHOOL is a neat red brick building, erected in 1863 at a cost of £450, and attended by 80 children.
The Church Land, 2A. 28P., is let for £2 6s. At the enclosure, in 1808, 16A. 1R. 9P. were awarded to the poor for fuel. In 1618, Solomon Leech left yearly rent-charges of £2 12s. for the poor, 10s. for a sermon, and 1s. 4d. for repairing the bell ropes. The poor have also yearly doles of 20s., left by John Starling, in 1728; and 5s., left by the Rev. Thomas Roberts.
POST OFFICE at Mr. John Long's. Letters, through Norwich, received at 9 a.m.; despatched at 2.20 p.m. (no Sunday.) Reepham is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office.
Baker John farmer Barker James farmer, Collin green Bird John farmer, Collin green Blythe Albert farmer Blythe Edgar farmer and landowner Blythe Mr James, jun. Easthaugh Burton Jno. wheelwright & beerhouse Burton Joseph carrier Cobon William farmer Comer Isaac farmer, Easthaugh Eggett Mrs Hannah shopkeeper Eggett James blacksmith English Misses frmrs. Primrose Gn Harris John carpenter Henry Geo. butcher & vict. Fox and Hounds Howard Samuel boot and shoe maker Hudson Stephen bootmaker Jex-Blake Rev. Charles Thomas, M.A. rector, The Rectory Long Jno. baker, grocer, & post office Mace Thomas blacksmith Matthews Captain Wm. fmr. Lyng hse Natt James shopkeeper Nicholson Robert Norton farmer, landowner, and lime burner Pigg Elijah draper, grocer, & assistant overseer Rayner Benjamin vict. King's Head Reeve John shopkeeper Sewter Frederick carpenter Sewter William farmer, Mill house Speakman Austin bootmaker Spooner Jabez farm bailiff to E. Wright Wright William parish clerk
CARRIER.- Joseph Burton, to Norwich every Sat; to E. Dereham every Fri.
See also the Lyng parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.