Norfolk: North Lynn
William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
LYNN (NORTH) is a decayed parish, originally on the west side of the estuary of the Great Ouse river, but now intersected by the new outfall channel of Lynn Harbour (see page 361 [which is the entry for King's Lynn]). It is in Freebridge Marshland hundred and petty sessional division, King's Lynn union, county court district, and bankruptcy district, Lynn polling district of West Norfolk, Lynn Marshland rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry. It had 91 inhabitants in 1881, living on 670 acres, and has a rateable value of £1050.
It is mostly the property of the Duke of Portland, and is occupied by Mr. Wm. Francis Marshall, who resides on the east side of the river. A considerable portion of the parish is now on the east side of the river, and is connected with the mainland by an embankment.
The CHURCH (St. Edmund) was washed down by an incursion of the ocean several centuries ago, and never rebuilt. The rectory valued in the King's Book at £13 1s. 8d., has 12 acres of glebe and part of the tithes of Clenchwarton attached to it, and since 1850 has been consolidated with the perpetual curacies of St. Margaret and St. Nicholas, in King's Lynn; but the incumbent of St. John's Church has £150 a year out of the tithes, which were commuted in 1837 for £190 per annum.
POST viâ King's Lynn, which is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office.
Clark Mr John Bentinck cottage Fox Robert farmer Marshall Wm. Francis farmer
See also the North Lynn parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.