"LYNN (WEST) is a considerable village, on the west side of the Great Ouse river, opposite the town and port of King's Lynn, with which it communicates by a ferry for foot passengers; but carriages have to go round by the bridges, a distance of nearly 3 miles. It is sometimes called Old Lynn, from a conjecture that it is more ancient than King's Lynn. Its parish contains 477 inhabitants, and about 1,200 acres of land, exclusive of 300 acres of the old bed of the river, which has recently been warped and cultivated. . . . The CHURCH, dedicated to St. Peter, has a square tower with three bells, and was erected after the destruction of the old one, which was washed down by an inundation in 1271. . . . The living is a rectory, valued in the King's Book at £9, and in 1831 at £388. . . . The Rev. C.H. Townshend is patron, and the Rev. Jeremiah Bowen, B.A., of King's Lynn, incumbent." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Lynn Marshland, in the archdeaconry of Norwich.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Peter.
- Church of St Peter
- Description and pictures.
- Church of St Peter
- Services, etc.
- Snelling, Janet Hammond; and Dobson, Rev K. Shuard
- A short history and description of the church and parish of West Lynn, St Peter's.
[Ramsgate, Church Publishers, 1965]
- Methodist Church
- Minister, services, picture, etc.
Follow the link to the home page, then search for the church.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from West Lynn to another place.
West Lynn is in Freebridge Marshland hundred.
You can see the administrative areas in which West Lynn has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TF612202 (Lat/Lon: 52.75536, 0.386492), West Lynn which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
These figures are from the population tables which were produced after the 10-yearly national censuses. The "Families" heading includes families and single occupiers.
There may be more people living in detached parts of the parish (if there were any) and, if so, the number may or may not be included in the figures above. It is quite difficult to be sure from the population tables.
- 1801 Census
- The population tables for 1851 [sic] say that 242 was the combined population of North Lynn and West Lynn.
- 1811 Census
- The population tables for 1851 [sic] say that 345 was the combined population of North Lynn and West Lynn.
- 1821 Census
- "A temporary increase of Population at West Lynn and at Wiggenhall, St. Germans, is ascribed to the Eau-Brink Drainage operations."
- 1861 Census
- "The decrease of population in the parish of West Lynn St. Peter is partly owing to the fact that labourers were temporarily employed in 1851 on the Norfolk Estuary works."