Norfolk: West Lynn
William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
LYNN (WEST) is a considerable village, on the west side of the Great Ouse river, opposite the town and port of King's Lynn, with which it communicates by a ferry for foot passengers; but carriages have to go round by the bridges, a distance of nearly 3 miles. It is sometimes called Old Lynn, from a conjecture that it is more ancient than King's Lynn.
Its parish contains 477 inhabitants, and about 1,200 acres of land, exclusive of 300 acres of the old bed of the river, which has recently been warped and cultivated. The soil belongs to John Lees, Esq., of London, Sir W.J.H.B. Ffolkes, Bart., of Hillington, and a number of other proprietors, each having the manorial rights of their own estates.
In 1300, Alan de Lindesey, burgess of Lena (Lynn,) gave to William de Gousele, farrier, the liberty of a passage or ferry-boat across the river. This ferry is now let by the Corporation of King's Lynn, for £290 per annum.
The opening of the Eau-Brink-Cut, which joins the Ouse about half a mile above Lynn, gave the current such a strong bias to the west side of the river, as to endanger the existence of West Lynn. Mr. Broadbent's house, which stood on the river bank, was washed down soon after the completion of the cut in 1822; but precautions were afterwards taken against any further encroachments of the refluent tides, by the erection of several jetties of strong frame-work, filled with large stones.
The CHURCH, dedicated to St. Peter, has a square tower with three bells, and was erected after the destruction of the old one, which was washed down by an inundation in 1271. In the chancel is a fine brass, representing Sir Adam Outlawe, who died in 1503, and left an acre of land for the parish clerk.
The living is a rectory, valued in the King's Book at £9, and in 1831 at £388. It has 28A. 2R. of glebe, and the tithes have recently been commuted for about £400 per annum, exclusive of about £70 a year received in lieu of tithes payable to the rector, in the parishes of Tilney All Saints, Islington, and Clenchwarton. The Rev. C.H. Townshend is patron, and the Rev. Jeremiah Bowen, B.A., of King's Lynn, incumbent.
The poor have £5 yearly, as the rent of 3A. 1R. of land at Islington, received in exchange for 4A. left by John Swaine, in 1678. The parish has six cottages and a house, obtained about 18 years ago, from a person who died a pauper.
Here is a Baptist Chapel, built in 1844.
Ashworth Mr. Frederick Bottomley William clerk Cartwright Reuben timber merchant; house All Saints street, Lynn Broadbent Thos. coal & corn mercht.; house, New Checker street, Lynn Croot George coal dealer, &c. Dison Rose vict., White Swan England Saml. lessee of ferry Laws John vict., Ferry Boat Newmarch Geo. timber merchant Perkins Wm. timber mert.; h. Lynn Reeder Wm. vict., Freebridge Hotel Ringwood Robert cabinet maker Robinson William clerk Secker Edward master of Steam Tug Trundle Robert parish clerk, &c. Beer Houses. Bakers, &c. Green George Bennington Wm., (& miller) Pike William Bullen John Thompson Sml. FARMERS. Shopkeepers. Crampton Amery Dison Rose Dawes Charles Lack Noah Eggitt William Lawson Francis Vincent Joseph
See also the West Lynn parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.