Hide

Mannington

hide
Hide

"MANNINGTON parish, 5 miles N.N.W. of Aylsham, has only 20 souls, and 549 acres of land, belonging to the Earl of Orford, and in two farms, called the Hall and Mere, the former occupied by Thomas Playford, and the latter by Mr. John Cook, of Thwaite. Wm. Lummer, who built the Hall, had license to make a castle of it. The Mere, a large moated mansion, is so called from the pond which is supplied by several copious springs. The CHURCH has long been a neglected ruin, and its discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £6. 13s. 4d., is consolidated with Itteringham." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Richard Johns]

Hide
topup

Church Directories

  • In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Ingworth, in the archdeaconry of Norwich.
    It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
  • The parish church is dedicated to St Mary, but it is in ruins.
topup

Church History

Church of St Mary
Description and pictures of the ruins.
topup

Church Records

Marriages
These are not included in Boyd's Marriage Index or Phillimore's Marriage Registers.

See also Norfolk Parish Links: Church Records

topup

Civil Registration

For the civil registration of births, marriages and deaths between 1837 and 1930 (and for the censuses from 1851 to 1901), Mannington was in Aylsham Registration District.

See also Norfolk Parish Links: Civil Registration

You can see pictures of Mannington which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

Mannington is in South Erpingham Hundred.

Parish outline and location.
See Parish Map for South Erpingham Hundred
Description of South Erpingham Hundred
1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk

You can see the administrative areas in which Mannington has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

Land & Property

Davison, Alan J.
The Field Archaeology of the Mannington and Wolterton Estates.
[Norwich, Norfolk and Norwich Archaeological Society, in "Norfolk Archaeology", vol.42, 1997]
Nevill, Lady Dorothy
Mannington and the Walpoles, Earls of Orford.
[London, Fine Art Society, 1894]
Purdy, Robert John Woods
Mannington Hall.
[Norwich, Norfolk and Norwich Archaeological Society, in "Norfolk Archaeology", vol.14, 1901]
Tomes, Sir Charles Sissmore
Mannington Hall and its owners.
[Norwich, Goose and Son, 1916]

See also Norfolk Parish Links: Land and Property

topup

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TG134323 (Lat/Lon: 52.845601, 1.166956), Mannington which are provided by:

topup

Names, Personal

topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • After 1834 Mannington became part of the Aylsham Union, and the workhouses were at Buxton and Oulton. These were replaced by a new workhouse at Aylsham in 1849.
topup

Population

These figures are from the population tables which were produced after the 10-yearly national censuses. The "Families" heading includes families and single occupiers.

Year  Inhabited
Houses
FamiliesPopulation
18012--24
18112219
18212216
18312213
18413--20
18512--12
Year  Inhabited
Houses
FamiliesPopulation
18612--  6
18712213
188122  8
18912210
19012223
1911--420

There may be more people living in detached parts of the parish (if there were any) and, if so, the number may or may not be included in the figures above. It is quite difficult to be sure from the population tables.