"MARHAM, or Cherry Marham, is a long village with several good houses, 7 miles W. of Swaffham, and 8 miles N.E. by E. of Downham. Its parish contains 817 inhabitants, and about 4,000 acres of land, a great portion of which is in large open fields, having perhaps the finest grass-turf in the county, and remarkable for large hares, said to be the best runners in the kingdom! Marham was formerly noted for its great abundance of cherries and walnuts; but most of the trees of the latter fruit were cut down during the late war, and sold to the gun-makers, - some of the largest for as much as £100 each. . . . There was formerly a Nunnery here, belonging to Ely abbey, founded for Cistercians, in 1251, and granted at the dissolution to Sir Nicholas and Robert Hare. Some remains of it may be seen in a farm-house and outbuildings, a little west of the CHURCH, (Holy Trinity,) which is a large edifice, with a lofty square tower and six bells. Here was another church,(St. Andrew,) and some traces of its foundations are still extant. The vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £6 13s. 4d., and in 1831 at £434, was augmented in 1738 with £200 of Queen Anne's bounty, and £200 given by the Rev. Edward Brooke. The Rev. Arthur Browne, M.A., is incumbent." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
Marham is about 9 miles S.E. of King's Lynn.
|Holy Trinity, Marham, Church of England|
|St Andrew, Marham, Church of England|
|St Margaret, Marham (RAF), Church of England|
|Cemetery, Marham, Cemetery|
|Chapel [now Methodist Church], Marham, Wesleyan Methodist|
|Chapel, Marham, Primitive Methodist|
|St George, Marham (RAF), Roman Catholic|
|St Andrew, Marham (RAF), Church of Scotland and Free Churches|
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Fincham, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to the Holy Trinity.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Marham to another place.
Marham is in Clackclose Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Clackclose Hundred
- Description of Clackclose Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Marham has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TF709098 (Lat/Lon: 52.658789, 0.525281), Marham which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)