William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
MARKSHALL, sometimes called Mattishall Heath, is a small parish in the vale of the river Tas, 2½ miles S. of Norwich, in Henstead union, Humbleyard hundred, Swainsthorpe petty sessional division, Norwich county court district, Norfolk bankruptcy district, Norwich polling district of South Norfolk, West Brooke rural deanery and Norwich archdeaconry. It had 54 inhabitants in 1881, living on 548 acres, and has a rateable value of £1173.
Nearly all the parish is in one farm, occupied by Mr. Thos. Allen, and belonging to Mrs. Arthy, of Caister St. Edmund, on the opposite side of the river, with which this parish has been consolidated in ecclesiastical affairs since 1695, when the church here was dilapidated, though some of its remains are still extant.
POST OFFICE at Caister St. Edmund.
Allen Thomas farmer, and Cantley
See also the Markshall parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.