"MERKSHALL, or Markshall, sometimes called MATTISHALL HEATH, is a small parish, in the vale of the river Tas, 2½ miles S. of Norwich, and has only 24 souls, and 528A. of land, in one farm, occupied by Cyrus Gillett, Esq., and belonging to Mrs. Dashwood, of Caistor St. Edmund, on the opposite side of the river, with which this parish has been consolidated in ecclesiastical affairs, since 1695, when the Church here was dilapidated, though some remains of it are still extant." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Brooke, in the archdeaconry of Norwich.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church was dedicated to St Edmund, but is in ruins.
- The parish has been consolidated with Caistor St Edmund since 1695.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Markshall to another place.
Markshall is in Humbleyard Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Humbleyard Hundred
- Description of Humbleyard Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Markshall has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TG227045 (Lat/Lon: 52.592516, 1.287118), Markshall which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)