"MARTHAM is a large village, with several handsome houses, pleasantly seated on rising ground above the marshes, 9½ miles N.N.W. of Yarmouth. Its parish extends above a mile westward to the hamlet of Cess, on the river Thurne, and comprises 1032 inhabitants, and 2281 acres of enclosed land, mostly copyhold, and subject to arbitrary fines. Thomas Grove, Esq., is lord of the manor, for which he holds a court at Michaelmas; but Moregrove and Knightsley form a small manor, belonging to Mr. Garnham. The Church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a large Gothic pile, with a fine specimen of stained glass, a lofty tower, and six bells. It is a discharged vicarage, valued in the King's Books at £6. 13s. 4d., and in 1831 at £253. It is now enjoyed by the Rev. Geo. Pearse. The Dean and Chapter of Norwich are patrons, and also appropriators of the rectory, now leased to Mrs. Ann Francis, and Wm. Rising, Esq. In 1160, Roger Gunton gave the church to the prior and convent of Norwich, "for the redemption of his soul." In 1843, the rectorial tithes were commuted for £628. 18s. 2d., and the vicarial for £363. 17s. 9d. per annum. The Baptists, and the Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists, have each a chapel here; the latter built in 1844." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Flegg, in the archdeaconry of Norwich.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
Until 1857 it had been in the Peculiar of the Dean and Chapter of Norwich.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Mary.
- Taylor, Edward Samuel
- Notices of the Church of Martham, Norfolk, previous to its restoration in 1856.
[Norwich, Norfolk and Norwich Archaeological Society, in "Norfolk Archaeology", vol.5, 1859]
- Methodist Church
- Minister, services, picture, etc.
Follow the link to the home page, then search for the church.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Martham to another place.
Martham is in West Flegg Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for East Flegg and West Flegg Hundreds
- Description of East Flegg and West Flegg Hundreds
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Martham has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Manning, Derek
- Martham Ferry.
[Norwich, Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society, in "Journal of the Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society", vol.6, no.5, 2000]
- Meakin, Ann
- Glimpses into the History of the Village of Martham.
[Martham, Skippers Print and Design, 1996]
- Orton, Christine
- Martham in times past.
[ISBN 0861571355, Chorley, Countryside Publication, 1984]
- Great Britain: Statute
- Martham Inclosure Act, 1812.
[Great Yarmouth, Beart, 1812]
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TG457181 (Lat/Lon: 52.704787, 1.635759), Martham which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)