"MASSINGHAM (GREAT) is a considerable village, 10 miles N. of Swaffham; 12 miles E. by N. of Lynn; and 3 miles N.W. of Rougham. It was formerly called Marsincham, from its situation, partly on a low marshy common, with several pools of water, which, after heavy rains, overflow into a bog, called the Swallow Pit, where the surplus water soon disappears through the porous surface. But the chief part of the village, with the Church, is on a pleasant acclivity, rising gradually from the common towards Little Massingham. Here are two draw-wells, one 30 and the other 129 feet deep. The parish has increased its population, since the year 1801, from 569 to 905 souls. It contains 4,108 acres of land, including more than 1,000 acres of heath and common, forming an excellent sheep-walk. . . . The CHURCH, (St. Mary,) is a large Gothic structure, with a handsome porch. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £33. 6s. 8d., and in 1831 at £891, has about 50 acres of glebe, and was formerly in two medieties:- viz., St. Mary and All Saints. The Marquis Cholmondeley is the patron, and the Rev. C. Grenside is the incumbent." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
Great Massingham is also known as Massingham Magna.
See also Little Massingham.
- Adams, David
- A probable medieval burial ground at Great Massingham.
[Norwich, Norfolk and Norwich Archaeological Society, in "Norfolk Archaeology", vol.44, part 2, 2003]
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Cemeteries
|All Saints, Great Massingham, Church of England|
|St Mary, Great Massingham, Church of England|
|Chapel (now Methodist Church), Great Massingham, Wesleyan Methodist|
|Chapel (Station Rd), Great Massingham, Primitive Methodist|
|United Free Chapel (later United Methodist), Great Massingham, Free Methodist|
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Lynn Norfolk, in the archdeaconry of Norwich.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Mary.
There was also a church dedicated to All Saints.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Great Massingham to another place.
Great Massingham is in Freebridge Lynn hundred.
You can see the administrative areas in which Great Massingham has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Goodall, Rev. Armitage
- A short history of Great Massingham, its churches and priory.
[Great Massingham, Massingham Historical Society, 2000]
[Originally published 1930s]
- Laurence Mary, Sister; and Margaret Devine, Sister (editor)
- A Norfolk Manor.
[Great Massingham, Massingham Historical Society, 2007]
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TF798230 (Lat/Lon: 52.774316, 0.664156), Great Massingham which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
These figures are from the population tables which were produced after the 10-yearly national censuses. The "Families" heading includes families and single occupiers.
There may be more people living in detached parts of the parish (if there were any) and, if so, the number may or may not be included in the figures above. It is quite difficult to be sure from the population tables.