"MATLASK, 7 miles N.N.W. of Aylsham, has in its parish 198 souls, and 547 acres of land, mostly the property of Dennis Gunton, Esq., who has a pleasant seat here. The Church (St. Peter,) has a tower, round at the base and octangular above. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £5, and was augmented in 1731, with £200 of Queen Anne's Bounty, and £200, given by Richard Whitaker, laid out in 40A. of land, at Gresham. The glebe is 10A., and the tithes were commuted in 1841, for £130 per annum. The Rev. A. Langton, of Hempstead, near Holt, is incumbent, and the Queen, as Duchess of Lancaster, is patroness." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Repps, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Peter.
- Archdeacons' Transcripts
- Baptisms 1725-1812, Marriages 1726-1811 and Burials 1726-1812.
[Parish Register Transcription Society, Dart Series, 2000?]
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Church Records
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Matlaske to another place.
Matlaske is in North Erpingham Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for North Erpingham Hundred
- Description of North Erpingham Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Matlaske has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TG149348 (Lat/Lon: 52.867938, 1.191416), Matlaske which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)