William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
MAUTBY, a parish 5½ miles N.W. of Yarmouth, had only 121 inhabitants in 1881, six scattered farm-houses, and 1626 acres of land, of which 900 are arable, 200 meadow, and 450 marsh, including several modern plantations, and a decoy of 9 acres. The parish is in Flegg union, East Flegg hundred, East and West Flegg petty sessional division, Yarmouth county court district and bankruptcy district, Ormesby polling district of North Norfolk, Flegg rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry.
It has a rateable value of about £3000, and Robert Fellowes, Esq., is patron of the rectory, lord of the manor, and owner of nearly the whole parish, which was anciently held by the Mautebys, of whom there are some ancient monuments in the church.
The CHURCH (St. Peter and St. Paul) is a small thatched fabric, consisting of a nave and chancel, with a tower, round at the base and octagonal above, containing one bell. In the chancel are sedilia and a piscina, and some of the windows contain fragments of stained glass. The register dates from 1660.
The rectory, valued in the King's Books at £13 6s. 8d., has 45A. 2R. of glebe, and is now in the incumbency of the Rev. Charles Fellowes of Shottesham, for whom the Rev. - Budd officiates.
POST via Filby.
Budd Rev. Theodore curate-in-charge, Rectory house Brown John farmer Fellowes Rev. Chs. rctr.; h Shottesham Fellowes Robert farmer and owner; h Shottesham park Gibbs George parish clerk Hewitt Mrs farmer, Marsh farm Kidman Fredk. farmer, Church farm Reynolds Wm. farm bailiff, Wood frm. Wright - farmer, Rectory farm
See also the Mautby parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.