"MELTON, (GREAT) 5½ miles W. by S. of Norwich, has in its parish 429 souls, and 2455 acres of land, nearly all the property of Edward Lombe, Esq., of Melton Hall, a neat mansion with a fine lawn of 100 acres, and containing a highly interesting ornithological collection, of more than 400 specimens, preserved by the celebrated Leadbeater. The parish had formerly two Churches, in the same grave-yard; but that dedicated to All Saints, was dilapidated in the 12th of Queen Anne, though much of its ruins still remain, richly mantled with ivy. St. Mary's is in good repair, and has a square tower, built in 1440, and containing three bells. The joint rectories, each valued in the King's Book at £6. 13s. 4d., are in the patronage of Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge, and incumbency of the Rev. Jas. Willins." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Humbleyard, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to All Saints.
There was also a church dedicated to St Mary, but it was demolished, apart from the tower, about 1880.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Great Melton to another place.
Great Melton is in Humbleyard Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Humbleyard Hundred
- Description of Humbleyard Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Great Melton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Great Britain: Statute
- Great Melton Inclosure Act, 1818.
An act for inclosing lands within the parish of Great Melton, otherwise Melton Saint Mary, and All Saints, in the county of Norfolk: 8th May 1818.
[London, George Eyre and Andrew Strahan, 1818]
[Wymondham, Mitchell, independently printed edition, 1818]
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TG129068 (Lat/Lon: 52.616911, 1.143781), Great Melton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)