Norfolk: Mendham


William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

MENDHAM is a parish in Hoxne union and petty sessional division, Harleston county court district, Ipswich bankruptcy district, Hoxne rural deanery, and Suffolk archdeaconry. It had 751 inhabitants in 1881, and comprises upwards of 3000 acres of land. Only 251 inhabitants, and 1200 acres adjoin Harleston, and are in Earsham hundred and Harleston polling district of South Norfolk; the rest, with the village, CHURCH (All Saints), and some vestiges of a Priory, is in Hoxne hundred of East Suffolk, on the south side of the river Waveney, 2 miles S.E. of Harleston.

The executors of the late Rev. T.W. Whitaker, M.A., are patrons of the vicarage, valued at £122 a year, and the Rev. Arthur Henry Brereton is the incumbent. Dove House belongs to and is occupied by the Rev. James Watson Stote Donnison, M.A. This and several other scattered houses near Shotford Bridge, are in the Norfolk part of the parish. John Sancroft Holmes, Esq., of Gawdy Hall, is lord of the manor of Walsham Hall, and Lord Waveney is lord of the manors of Mendham King's Hall and Priory, and owner of Shotford Hall estate, &c. The copyholds are subject to arbitrary fines. Part of the great tithes has been purchased by the landowners, and Lord Waveney is impropriator of the remainder, which has been commuted for £270 per annum.

A Congregational Chapel, endowed with an estate at Topcroft, is in the Norfolk part of the parish.

A SCHOOL BOARD was established here in 1874, and consists of the Rev. A.H. Brereton (chairman), Messrs. Joseph Dimmock, W.P. Riches, J.J. Beaumont, John Munnings, C. Hayward, and C.W. Chaston. Mr George Good is clerk to the Board. The School was built to accommodate about 120 children; cost of building school about £1200. (see also our Suffolk work.)

POST from Harleston.

         Allured    Alfred            tailor
         Beaumont   James John        farm steward, Shotford hall
         Borrett    Edward            corn and flour dealer
         Borrett    Samuel            bricklayer, &c
         Bunn       Ambrose Edward    solicitor's clerk, secretary to
                      Nichols           Literary Club, and agent for the
                                        Liverpool, London, and Globe
                                        Insurance Co. The Chestnuts
         Charlish   Charles           butcher and farmer
         Crisp      Mrs Emma
         Donnison   Rev. James Watson
                      Stote, M.A.     Dove house
         Durrant    Mrs Mary &
                      Misses Mary
                      & Jane Louisa   day & boarding school, Laurel cottage
         Gibbs      Mrs Mary
         Gill       Robert            tailor and draper
         Gillman    Chas.             thrashing machine owner
         Gillman    Walter John       watchmaker
         Goodwin    Frederick         farmer and owner, overseer and surveyor
         Ingate     George            draper, &c
         Leguen de  Mons Eugene
           Lacroix    François Louis  White house  [see note below]
         Miles      John Rackham      stamp distributor, agent for the Life
                                        Association of Scotland Insurance
                                        Co.; and farmer, Stamp office
         Nichols    John William      farmer
         Pratt      Mr James          The Beeches
         Prime      Mrs Rachel
         Read       Henry James       farmer
         Reeve      John              victualler, Sir Robert Peel Inn
         Shibley    Walter            vict. Magpie Hotel (commercial and
                                        posting), and wine and spirit
         Smith      Charles           saddler
         Vincent    Arthur Edward     auctioneer, valuer, house, land and
                                        estate agent, public accountant,
                                        and collector, and agent for the
                                        Gresham Insurance Co.
         Wells      James             lodgings

Note: in the original this is:
     Leguen de, Lacroix Mons Eugene François Louis, White house

See also the Mendham parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
December 2009