William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
MINTLYN is a small decayed parish, 2¼ miles E. by S. of Lynn, on the northern acclivity of the valley opposite Middleton, and in Freebridge Lynn union, hundred, rural deanery, and petty sessional division, Lynn county court and bankruptcy district, Lynn polling district of West Norfolk, and Norwich archdeaconry.
It had 41 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1100 acres, and has a rateable value of £1096. The parish contains 720 acres of enclosed land, with a high sandy heath, of which 400 acres were planted by the late William Bagge, Esq., who bequeathed this estate to its present owner, Richard Bagge, Esq. Bishop Beaufoy had a grant of this and sixty other lordships from the Conqueror. In Domesday book it is called Meltinga.
Its small Church (St. Michael) has long been in ruins, but the gables and one of the side walls are still standing. The south doorway is of fine proportions, and rich in the characteristic features of the best period of the Norman style. Mintlyn is now a sort of extra-parochial liberty, having neither church nor pastor.
POST from Lynn, which is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office.
Bunkle Richard gamekeeper Richards James farmer Ward William farmer
See also the Mintlyn parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.