"MORNINGTHORPE, or Mourningthorpe, 11 miles S. of Norwich, and 8 miles N. by W. of Harleston, has in its parish 192 souls, and 921A. of land. The soil is held by several owners, some of whom have neat houses here. The Rev. Thos. Howes is lord of the manor of Morningthorpe, and Wm. F. Irby, Esq., is lord of Boyland manor, which extends into this and several other parishes, and resides at BOYLAND HALL, a large and handsome Elizabethan mansion, with pleasant grounds, in a picturesque valley, 1 mile N. of Morningthorpe. This mansion was built in 1571, and was thoroughly repaired in 1804, by its late owner, the Hon. Admiral F. P. Irby. . . . It has recently been much improved and enlarged. The Church (St. John the Baptist,) has a round tower, and the living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £7, and now having 7A. of glebe, and a yearly rent of £300, in lieu of tithes. The patronage is in the Crown, and the Rev. C.N. Wodehouse is the incumbent, and has lately erected a new Rectory House." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Ann Duncan]
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Depwade, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St John the Baptist.
- Church of St John the Baptist
- Description and pictures.
- Hook, David, and Tricker, Roy
- The Hempnall Group of Churches.
Bedingham St Andrew; Fritton St Catherine; Hardwick St Margaret; Hempnall St Margaret; Morningthorpe St John the Baptist; Shelton St Mary; Topcroft St Margaret; Woodton All Saints.
[Hempnall, Hempnall Group of Churches, 1987]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Morningthorpe to another place.
Morningthorpe is in Depwade Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Depwade Hundred
- Description of Depwade Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Morningthorpe has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Green, Barbara; Rogerson, Andrew; and White, Susan G.
- The Anglo-Saxon cemetery at Morning Thorpe, Norfolk.
[Gressenhall, Norfolk Archaeological Unit, Norfolk Museums Service, in "East Anglian Archaeology", Report no.36, 1987]
- Ames, John R.
- An archaeological evaluation at Boyland Hall, Morningthorpe.
[Gressenhall, Norfolk Archaeological Unit, Norfolk Museums Service, in "East Anglian Archaeology", 2003]
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TM218926 (Lat/Lon: 52.486021, 1.2654), Morningthorpe which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)