Moulton St Michael
"MOULTON, 9 miles N.N.E. of Diss, and 6 miles E. by N. of New Buckenham, has in its parish 444 souls, and 1346 acres of land, anciently in two parishes, called Great and Little Moulton, but the church of the latter (All Saints,) was demolished in 1570, and its site is now called the Sanctuary. Mr. Wm. Betts is lord of the manor of Moulton, but part of the parish is in the manors of Aslacton and Forncett. The soil belongs to various owners. The Church (St. Michael,) is a small fabric, and the living is a rectory, valued in the King's Book at £6. 13s. 4d., and now having 20A. of glebe, a handsome residence, erected about ten years ago, and a yearly rent of £470, awarded in 1840, in lieu of tithes. W. L. W. Chute, Esq., M.P., is the patron, and the Rev. Thomas Howes, M.A., is the incumbent. " [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Ann Duncan]
Moulton St Michael is also known simply as Moulton and as Great Moulton.
Until the 16th century, it also included the parish of Little Moulton.
See also Moulton St Mary.
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Depwade, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Michael.
The parish church of Little Moulton was dedicated to All Saints, but it was demolished in the 16th century.
- These are not included in Boyd's Marriage Index or Phillimore's Marriage Registers.
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Church Records
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Moulton St Michael to another place.
Moulton St Michael is in Depwade Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Depwade Hundred
- Description of Depwade Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Moulton St Michael has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TM166906 (Lat/Lon: 52.46992, 1.187981), Moulton St Michael which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)