Norfolk: Moulton St Michael
William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
MOULTON St. MICHAEL, or Great Moulton, is a parish, 9 miles N.N.E. of Diss, 6 miles E. by N. of New Buckenham, and about 2 miles from Tivetshall and Forncett railway stations, in Depwade union and hundred, and petty sessional division, Wymondham county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Stratton polling district of South Norfolk, Depwade rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It had 359 inhabitants in 1881, living on 1347 acres of land, and has a rateable value of £2442.
The parish was anciently in two parishes, called Great and Little Moulton, but the church of the latter (All Saints) was demolished in 1570, and its site is now called the Sanctuary. Messrs. Thomas and Edward Betts are lords of the manor of Moulton, but part of the parish is in the manors of Aslacton and Forncett. The soil belongs to Mrs. Copeman, Edward Betts, Esq., and some smaller owners.
The CHURCH (St. Michael) is a small fabric, with nave, chancel, north aisle, and porch, and was restored and reseated in 1863. In the churchyard near the west end of the church, is a fine altar tomb of the 15th century.
The living is a rectory, valued in the King's Book at £6 13s. 4d., and now having 20 acres of glebe, and a yearly rent-charge of £460, awarded in 1840, in lieu of tithes. The rectory house is a splendid mansion in the Italian style, with extensive grounds and gardens, and was erected in 1831, regardless of cost, by the patron's brother. The drawing-room is an elegant apartment, with elaborately painted walls. C.W. Chute, Esq., is patron, and the Rev. Edward Russell Chute, B.A., J.P., incumbent.
The National School was built in 1874, with accommodation for 70 children.
The Town Land, 10A. 14P., is let for £20. Three acres of it were allotted at the enclosure, and part of the remainder was left in 1520, by the Rev. Richard Drake. In 1731 Samuel Hammond left £20 for the poor, and it was laid out in building a cottage, but the churchwardens distribute the interest yearly in bread.
POST OFFICE at George Aldis's. Letters arrive at 8.30 a.m., and are despatched at 4.50 p.m., viâ Long Stratton, which is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office.
Aldis George postmaster & psh. clerk Arterton George fish hawker Bales James farmer Betts Edward farmer and owner Bush Mrs. shopkeeper Cadman Samuel Chute Rev. Edward Russell, B.A. J.P. The Rectory Cole Alfred farmer Constable James blacksmith Elvin Robert shopkeeper Feavearyear George farmer Fish John farmer Gallant James farmer Gallant Thomas farmer Guyton Samuel hawker Herne James farmer and bricklayer Herne James, jun. farmer Howell Frederick farmer Howlett Robert farmer Kemp Mrs Mary Anne Kett Alfred John Browne farmer and Tibenham King Mrs Mary farmer and owner Land John farmer Levett Miss schoolmistress Leighton Ellis vict. Fox & Hounds Mann John farmer; h Wacton Hall Martin George farmer Neave Riches farmer and owner Potter Robert bricklayer Potter Thomas carpenter and wheelwright Potter Thomas John carpenter Smith Isaac farmer Smith Robert farmer Smith William George farmer Spicer Robert farmer Stimpson Edmund tailor Talbot Robert carpenter & vict. The New Inn
See also the Moulton St Michael parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.