Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Mulbarton

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

Mulbarton

Primary tabs

"MULBARTON, a pleasant village, scattered round a verdant green of 47 acres, 5 miles S.S.W. of Norwich, has in its parish 582 inhabitants, and 1348A. of land, belonging chiefly to the Rev. J.H. Steward, Captain Wm. Bellairs, and Messrs. Jas. and John Turner. The first is lord of the manor,  . . . The CHURCH (St. Mary Magdalen) is a neat edifice, with a lofty square tower and five bells. It was built by Sir Wm. de Hoo, a great warrior, who died in 1410.  . . . and has several neat monuments to the families of Rich, Scargill, Frere, Gay, &c. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £14, and in 1831 at £632, is in the gift of the Rev. J.H. Steward, and incumbency of the Rev. Richd. Gay Lucas, B.A. The tithes were commuted in 1841 for £531. 3s. 3d. per ann. Kenningham estate, belonging to Mr. John Turner, was anciently a parish, but it was consolidated with Mulbarton, in 1452; and the site of its church is now occupied by a plantation.  . . . PETTY SESSIONS are held on the third Monday of every month, at the World's End Inn, " [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

topup
topup
topup

Church Directories

  • In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Humbleyard, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
    It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
  • The parish church is dedicated to St Mary Magdalen.
topup

Church History

Church of St Mary Magdalen
Description, picture, services, etc.
Church of St Mary Magdalen
Services, etc.
Daubeney, Andrew Robert Vaughan
Mulbarton with Keningham, Norfolk: some notes and remarks concerning the church, the monuments tablets, the rectors, the church plate, the bells, the registers, the title map and field names, St. William of Norwich, Sir Thomas Richard, the house of Rich, etc.
[King's Lynn, Crome and Akers, 1932]
topup

Church Records

Marriages
These are included in Boyd's Marriage Index.
They are not included in Phillimore's Marriage Registers.
Churchwardens' Rates
Principal property occupiers and the amounts paid.
1829-1830, and 1832-1833.

See also Norfolk Parish Links: Church Records

topup

Civil Registration

For the civil registration of births, marriages and deaths between 1837 and 1930 (and for the censuses from 1851 to 1901), Mulbarton was in Henstead Registration District.

See also Norfolk Parish Links: Civil Registration

topup

Description and Travel

Mulbarton
Description and history.
Mulbarton
Description, history, pictures, events, organisations, businesses, etc.
Mulbarton Parish Council
Minutes, agendas, etc.
Hardman, J.S.
Mulbarton, a History of a Norfolk Village.
[ISBN 0952257211, Mulbarton, 1999]
Wright, Jill; and Wright, David R.
The Book of Mulbarton, 'A village that has no history'.
[ISBN 1841145033, Halsgrove, 2006]
Mulbarton Post Mill
Description.
Mulbarton Smock Mill
Description, history and pictures.
Mulbarton Tower Mill
Description, history and pictures.

See also Norfolk Parish Links: Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Mulbarton which are provided by:

topup
topup

Gazetteers

Ask for a calculation of the distance from Mulbarton to another place.

Click here for a list of nearby places.

topup

Historical Geography

Mulbarton is in Humbleyard Hundred.

Parish outline and location.
See Parish Map for Humbleyard Hundred
Description of Humbleyard Hundred
1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk

You can see the administrative areas in which Mulbarton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup
topup
topup
topup
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law etc.

  • After 1834 Mulbarton became part of the Henstead Union, and the workhouse was at Swainsthorpe.
  • Wright, Jill A.
    Transcription of the Poor Rate of Mulbarton, 1876.
    [Typescript in Norwich Local Studies Library]
topup

Population

These figures are from the population tables which were produced after the 10-yearly national censuses. The "Families" heading includes families and single occupiers.

Year   Inhabited
Houses
Families Population
1801   49   74 353
1811   51   75 346
1821   84   98 417
1831 105 111 523
1841 125 --- 582
1851 127 --- 557
Year   Inhabited
Houses
Families Population
1861 117 --- 525
1871 114 114 463
1881 120 121 518
1891 123 123 536
1901 126 127 507
1911 --- 123 481

There may be more people living in detached parts of the parish (if there were any) and, if so, the number may or may not be included in the figures above. It is quite difficult to be sure from the population tables.

1901 Census
"Including Kenningham."
topup