William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
MULBARTON, a pleasant village, scattered round a verdant green of 47 acres, 5 miles S.S.W. of Norwich, has in its parish 582 inhabitants, and 1348A. of land, belonging chiefly to the Rev. J.H. Steward, Captain Wm. Bellairs, and Messrs. Jas. and John Turner. The first is lord of the manor, for which Thomas de St. Omer obtained from Henry III. the privileges of a fair, (obsolete,) free warren, view of frank-pledge, &c.
The CHURCH (St. Mary Magdalen) is a neat edifice, with a lofty square tower and five bells. It was built by Sir Wm. de Hoo, a great warrior, who died in 1410. It was repaired and beautified in 1815, and has several neat monuments to the families of Rich, Scargill, Frere, Gay, &c. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £14, and in 1831 at £632, is in the gift of the Rev. J.H. Steward, and incumbency of the Rev. Richd. Gay Lucas, B.A. The tithes were commuted in 1841 for £531. 3s. 3d. per ann.
Kenningham estate, belonging to Mr. John Turner, was anciently a parish, but it was consolidated with Mulbarton, in 1452; and the site of its church is now occupied by a plantation.
Sir Thomas Richardson, lord chief justice of the Common Pleas, in 1626, was born in this parish, where his father was rector.
PETTY SESSIONS are held on the third Monday of every month, at the World's End Inn, where there is an Odd Fellows' Lodge, and a good bowling-green, much resorted to, in summer, by company from Norwich; and throngs of people assemble on the village-green, in Whitsun week, to witness pony and donkey races, and other sports and amusements.
The Church Lands, &c., consist of 2A. 2R., and four old tenements, let for £9. 10s. In 1670, Sir Edwin Rich bequeathed to the poor of this parish £100, of which £90 was laid out in the purchase of 10A. 2R. 24P. of land, now let for £20. 10s. In 1829, the trustees built a house on this land, worth £5 a-year. The rents are distributed on New Year's day.
Barrell Samuel miller Bellairs Capt. William Lodge Blake John butcher [see note below] Blake Rt. butcher [see note below] Cremer Charles miller Dye John shoemaker Fulcher Saml. vict. World's End Gowing Saml. farmer [see note below] Lane John farmer [see note below] Lucas Rev. Richd. Gay, B.A. Rectory Norris Mr John [see note below] Norton Mr Jas. [see note below] Petchell Mark Bean schoolr. & regr Petchell Thomas tailor Rice Robt. wheelwright & beerhs Rice James blacksmith Rudd Robert G. farmer Rudledge Thomas tailor Squires Paul, Esq. Hall Todd John Post Office Turner James and John yeomen Windett James maltster Wright Wm. tailor
Note: in the original, these are:
Blake John and Blake Rt. butchers
Gowing Saml. & Lane John, farmers
Norris Mr John & Norton Mr Jas.
See also the Mulbarton parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.