"MUNDHAM, a pleasant village, 9½ miles S.E. by S. of Norwich, has in its parish 308 souls, and 1,527 acres of land, mostly the property of G. S. Kett, Esq., and lying in his manor of Dickleburgh-Manclere. Here is also a rectorial manor belonging, with the great tithes, and the advowson, to the Trustees of the Great Hospital, Norwich. (see page 134 [ which is about the history of Norwich ].) The benefice is a perpetual curacy, valued in 1831 at £148, and now enjoyed by the Rev. J. T. Burt, M.A. of Seething. The CHURCH (St. Peter,) has a square tower, and its south and north doors are interesting specimens of Norman architecture. Here was another church dedicated to St. Ethelbert, and some of its ruins are still extant." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Mike Bristow]
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Brooke, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Peter.
There was also a church dedicated to St Ethelbert.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Mundham to another place.
Mundham is in Loddon Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Loddon Hundred
- Description of Loddon Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Mundham has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Chandler, Rev William Burgess Hunt; and Balls, Thomas Fisher
- Notes on the Parish of Mundham, Norfolk.
- Great Britain. Inclosure Commissioners
- Statement of Claims (82): Seething, Kirstead, Mundham and Sisland.
Drawn up in pursuance of the Act of Inclosure, 1813.
- Great Britain: Statute
- Seething and other parishes Inclosure Act, 1813.
An act for inclosing lands within the parishes of Seething, Kirstead, Mundham, and Sisland, in the county of Norfolk: 15 April 1813.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TM334978 (Lat/Lon: 52.527815, 1.440066), Mundham which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
These figures are from the population tables which were produced after the 10-yearly national censuses. The "Families" heading includes families and single occupiers.
There may be more people living in detached parts of the parish (if there were any) and, if so, the number may or may not be included in the figures above. It is quite difficult to be sure from the population tables.