"NEATISHEAD, 10 miles N.E. of Norwich, is a large village and parish, containing 697 inhabitants, and about 1905 acres of land. This manor was given by Canute, the Dane, to his Abbey of St. Bennet's at Holm, so that the Bishop of Norwich is now patron of the church, impropriator of the great tithes, and lord of the manor; but a great part of the soil belongs to his lessee, Sir J.H. Preston; besides whom here are several smaller proprietors. The CHURCH (St. Peter) is a small edifice with a belfry, being only the chancel of the original building, which was extensive, and had a lofty tower and spire of the age of Edward IV. A new gallery was erected by subscription in 1840. Over the present west door are some remains of rich tabernacle work, which originally decorated a monument of one of the Cubitt family. The vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £3. 13s. 1½d., and in 1831, at £201, has 46A. of glebe, and is now enjoyed by the Rev. John Heaton Champion de Crespigny." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]


The name may be pronounced as Neatshead.



The Monumental Inscriptions in the Hundred of Tunstead (Walter Rye).
The parishes covered include Neatishead.
See Ashmanhaugh
Neatishead Baptist Church
Burials and gravestones.

See also Norfolk Parish Links: Cemeteries


Church Directories

  • In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Waxham, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
    It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
  • The parish church is dedicated to St Peter.

Church History

Church of St Peter
Description and pictures.
Church of St Peter
Services, parish magazine, etc.
Neatishead Baptist Church
Description, history, services, etc.

Church Records

Parish Register Transcripts
Baptisms, Banns, Marriages and Burials.
Parish Register Transcripts
Baptisms 1671-1900, Banns 1754-1812,1823-1900, Marriages 1754-1837 and Burials 1676-1900.
[Parish Register Transcription Society, Dart Series, 2000?]
These are not included in Boyd's Marriage Index or Phillimore's Marriage Registers.
Neatishead Baptist Church
Births 1801-1837.
Neatishead Baptist Church
Burials and gravestones.
Edmonds, Jenifer A.
Norfolk Non-Conformist Burials, 1700s-1800s.
Neatishead Particular Baptists (1801-1837).
See Great Ellingham

See also Norfolk Parish Links: Church Records


Civil Registration

For the civil registration of births, marriages and deaths between 1837 and 1869 (and for the censuses in 1851 and 1861), Neatishead was in Tunstead and Happing Registration District.

This district was renamed on 1st January 1870 and, from then until 1930, Neatishead was in Smallburgh Registration District for civil registration and for the censuses of 1871 to 1901.

See also Norfolk Parish Links: Civil Registration


Description & Travel

Dennes, Alice
A Look at Neatishead.
[Neatishead, 1999]
Neatishead Parish Council
Councillors, meetings, minutes, pictures, etc.
Neatishead Tower Mill
Description, history and pictures.
Neatishead Post Mill
Description and history.

See also Norfolk Parish Links: Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Neatishead which are provided by:




Historical Geography

Neatishead is in Tunstead Hundred.

Parish outline and location.
See Parish Map for Tunstead Hundred
Description of Tunstead Hundred
1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk

You can see the administrative areas in which Neatishead has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.



You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TG342211 (Lat/Lon: 52.736344, 1.46779), Neatishead which are provided by:


Poor Houses, Poor Law



These figures are from the population tables which were produced after the 10-yearly national censuses. The "Families" heading includes families and single occupiers.

Year  Inhabited
1811  86123532
1821  98130576
Year  Inhabited

There may be more people living in detached parts of the parish (if there were any) and, if so, the number may or may not be included in the figures above. It is quite difficult to be sure from the population tables.

1861 Census
"TUNSTEAD. The decrease of population in most of the parishes comprised in the Tunstead District, which forms the "Tunstead and Happing Incorporation" for the support of the poor, is attributed to emigration and the migration of young persons to other parts."
1901 Census
"Including Butcher's Common, Cangate Common, and Three-hammer Common."
1911 Census
Out of the population of 518, 17 were in 2 large establishments or institutions.