William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
NEEDHAM, on the Diss Road, 1 mile W.S.W. of Harleston, has its parish in Depwade union, Earsham hundred and petty sessional division, Harleston county court district, Ipswich bankruptcy district, Harleston polling district of South Norfolk, Redenhall rural deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. The rateable value is £1655 10s., and the gross rental £1930 8s.
It had 349 inhabitants in 1881, and comprises 1200 acres of land, in five manors, of which the following are the names and owners:- Bourts, F.B. Frank, Esq.; Denisons, George Dunbar, Esq.; Seymours, George W. Lawton, Esq.; Witchingham, Lord Waveney; and Gunshaw, W.M. Hazard, Esq.; but the Duke of Norfolk has a paramount jurisdiction.
The CHURCH (St. Peter) was formerly a chapel to Mendham, and is an ancient fabric, except the chancel, which was rebuilt in 1735, and is about to be restored. The tower is round at the base and octagonal above. Lord Waveney is impropriator of the tithes; but the heirs of the late A. Adair, Esq., are patrons of the vicarage, which was certified at £15, and is now valued at £77, in the incumbency of the Rev. J.G. Richard. It was augmented from 1675 to 1817 with £1000 of Queen Anne's Bounty and £400 given by the Rev. A. Freston and Mrs. Pyncombe.
The NATIONAL SCHOOL was built in 1874, at a cost of £550, to accommodate 68 children, and is attended by about 30.
The Town Estate consists of several cottages and 24 acres of land, mostly granted in the reign of Elizabeth, and now let for £75, which is spent in coal for the poor, and towards paying church and educational expenses. In 1547, John Gowan left to the poor a yearly rent-charge of 6s. 8d., now lost.
POST viâ Scole. Pillar Letter-Box cleared at 5.15 p.m. on week days, and 9.30 a.m. on Sundays.
Alger George farmer
Bedford Jno. blacksmith, parish clerk, and constable
Bichard Rev. John
Gallienne vicar, The Vicarage
Bird Robert horsedealer
Brigham John T. farmer, White house
Brigham Mrs Mary fmr. White house
Buxton Saml. grocer, plumber, painter, and overseer
Candler Robt. farmer, and overseer, Gunshaw Hall farm
Clark Robert farmer
Collett William farm bailiff
Crooks Wm. vict. Red Lion, & coal dlr.
Drew George tailor
Gibson James farmer
Gillman Wm. machine owner and hurdle maker
Goulder Christopher farmer, Hill farm
Haywood Chas. farmer; h Withersdale
Hudell Mrs Louisa market gardener and glover
Kingsbury Mrs Elizabeth shopkeeper
Lewis Mrs Susannah schoolmistress
Rayner Robert beerhouse
Rivett Mrs Elizabeth farmer
Rogers William shoemaker and rural postman
Short Thos. vict. Fishmongers' Arms
Simmens Mrs Emma
Smith George farmer
Smith Thomas farmer
Spink John farmer and scrap iron dlr.
Took John farmer
Note: the vicar's surname is Richard in the text, and Bichard in the directory.
See also the Needham parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.