Hide

Nordelph

hide
Hide

"NORDELPH (or Northdelph) is an ecclesiastical parish, formed in 1909 from the parishes of Upwell, Downham, Denver, Stowe and Outwell; it is 4 miles west from Downham and about the same distance from Upwell. The village is intersected by the Well creek, over which there is an iron bridge and is in the South Western division of the county, Clackclose petty sessional division, Wisbech union and county court district, rural deanery of Fincham (western division), archdeaconry of Lynn and diocese of Norwich. Holy Trinity church, erected by the Rev. William Gale Townley M.A. in 1865, as a chapel of ease to the parish church of Upwell, is an edifice of brick, consisting of chancel, nave, vestry, south porch and a turret, containing one bell: the east window is stained: there are 250 sittings. The register dates from the year 1865. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £350, with residence, in the gift of the Rev. Charles Francis Townley M.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge, and held since 1909 by the Rev. Edwin Emmanuel Bradford B.D. of Exeter College, Oxford. There are Wesleyan, Methodist and United Methodist chapels." [Kelly's Directory of Norfolk (1912) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

Hide

Nordelph is about 13 miles S. of King's Lynn.
It is also known as North Delph.
It was created in 1909 as an ecclesiastical parish, from parts of the parishes of Denver, Downham West, Outwell, Stow Bardolph and Upwell.

Hide
topup

Cemeteries

Cemetery of the Church of the Holy Trinity
Transcriptions of the war memorial, and gravestones in the cemetery.
This is a link to an archived copy.

See also Norfolk Parish Links: Cemeteries

topup

Church Directories

  • In 1909 the parish was in the Deanery of Fincham, in the archdeaconry of Lynn.
    It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
  • The parish church was dedicated to the Holy Trinity.
    It was built in 1865 as a chapel of ease to the parish church of Upwell. It was demolished in 2010.
topup

Church History

Church of the Holy Trinity
Description and pictures.
Church of the Holy Trinity
Services, etc.
topup

Church Records

Parish Register Transcripts
Baptisms 1865-1880
These were while the church was a chapel of ease to Upwell.
Marriages
These are not included in Boyd's Marriage Index or Phillimore's Marriage Registers.

See also Norfolk Parish Links: Church Records

topup

Civil Registration

For the civil registration of births, marriages and deaths between 1909 and 1930, Nordelph was in Downham Registration District.

See also Norfolk Parish Links: Civil Registration

topup

Description & Travel

Nordelph Parish Council
Councillors, meetings, minutes, pictures, etc.
Nordelph Fen Drainage Mill
Description, history and pictures.
Nordelph Upwell Fen Drainage Mill
Description, history and pictures.
Nordelph Well Creek Drainage Mill
Description, history and pictures.

See also Norfolk Parish Links: Description and Travel

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

Nordelph is in Clackclose Hundred.

Parish outline and location.
See Parish Map for Clackclose Hundred
It is not marked, but is where these parishes meet: Denver, Downham West, Outwell, Stow Bardolph and Upwell.
Description of Clackclose Hundred
1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk

You can see the administrative areas in which Nordelph has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TF558012 (Lat/Lon: 52.586051, 0.297744), Nordelph which are provided by:

topup

Military Records

topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • After 1909 Nordelph became part of the Wisbech Union, and the workhouse was at Wisbech in Cambridgeshire.