"NORTHWOLD is a long village, with a few neat houses, and the shaft of an ancient cross, on the Thetford turnpike, near the river Wissey, 3 miles S.E. by E. of Stoke Ferry, and 7 miles N. by W. of Brandon. Its parish has 1140 inhabitants, and 5234 acres, of which 4893 are assessable. A fair for toys, pedlery, &c., is held Nov. 30th and Dec. 1st, at Northwold; and about 2 miles to the N.W., near Stoke Ferry, is the hamlet of WHITTINGTON, in this parish, where there are 178 inhabitants, and where Messrs. Whitbread and Co., the great London brewers, have an extensive malthouse, with five cisterns capable of steeping 1700 bushels of barley at one time. The parish is in the manors of Northwold, Hovells, and Dagneys, of which H.S. Partridge, Esq., is lord. The other principal landowners are, Mrs. Harvey, J.B.S. Bradfield, Esq., and the Rev. Dr. Thackeray. The CHURCH (St. Andrew) is a large handsome fabric, with a nave, aisles, chancel, and lofty tower, (built in 1473,) containing six bells and a good clock. . . . The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £29. 14s. 9½d., and in 1831, at £740, is in the gift of the Bishop of Ely, and now enjoyed by the Rev. C.M.R. Norman, with 66A. of glebe." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
Northwold is about 12 miles N.W. of Thetford.
See also Whittington, which was part of Northwold until 1874.
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Cranwich, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Andrew.
- These are not included in Boyd's Marriage Index or Phillimore's Marriage Registers.
- Archdeacon's Transcripts or Bishop's Transcripts
- Baptisms, Marriages and Burials.
- Millican, Percy
- Northwold Churchwardens' Accounts, 1626-1795.
[Norwich, Norfolk and Norwich Archaeological Society, in "Norfolk Archaeology" vol 28, 1945]
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Church Records
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Northwold to another place.
Northwold is in Grimshoe Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Grimshoe Hundred
- Description of Grimshoe Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Northwold has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- 1814: Subscription and Dinner
- To Celebrate Peace between England and France, with names of the subscribers.
- Great Britain: Statute
- Northwold Inclosure Act, 1796.
An act for dividing, allotting, and inclosing the common fields, whole year lands, half year lands, commons, fen grounds, and waste lands, within the parish of Northwold, in the county of Norfolk.
- See Stoke Ferry
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL754972 (Lat/Lon: 52.544364, 0.585793), Northwold which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)