Norfolk: Norton Subcourse
William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
NORTON-SUBCOURSE (or Soupecors,) is a parish of dispersed houses, in the vale of a rivulet, 3 miles E. of Loddon. It has 356 souls, and 1849 acres of land, belonging chiefly to Sir E.B. Smyth, and Sir E. Bacon, the lords of the two manors; and partly to R. Denny, Esq., and a few smaller owners.
Sir E. Bacon is impropriator of the great tithes, and patron of the discharged vicarage, which was augmented in 1817, with a parliamentary grant of £600, and £400 given by the patron and incumbent. The Rev. James Wall is the vicar. The tithes have been commuted; the rectorial for £139, and the vicarial for £123 per annum.
The Church Land, 6A. 2R. 22P., was received at the enclosure, in exchange for the old Town Lands. At the same time, (1822,) eight perches were allotted for the site of a school; and 8A. 2R. 8P. for the poor. The latter is let for £14, which, after the payment of rates, is distributed in coals, blankets, and bread.
Andrews John blacksmith Harrison Jas. vict. Swan Reynolds Thomas wheelwright Shardalow James shopkeeper Wall Rev. James Vicarage farmers. Hall John Shardalow Wm. Playford Wm. Wigg Jas. Rolfe Mrs. Woods John Scarlett Jas.
See also the Norton Subcourse parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.