Norfolk: Norton Subcourse
William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
NORTON-SUBCOURSE is a parish of scattered houses, in the vale of a rivulet, 3 miles E. of Loddon. It is in Loddon and Clavering union and petty sessional division, Beccles county court district, Clavering hundred, Norfolk archdeaconry, and East Brooke rural deanery. The rateable value is £2937. It had 359 inhabitants in 1881, and comprised 1869 acres of land, belonging chiefly to Sir W.B. Smijth [sic], Bart., and partly to the Rev. R.C. Denny, Mr. James Bexfield, and a few smaller owners. It is in two manors, of which Sir W.B. Smijth, Bart., and Nicholas Bacon, Esq., are lords.
The CHURCH (St. Mary) is a long, ancient structure of flint and rubble, and comprises nave, chancel, and low tower with four bells. In the chancel are three canopied sedilia and a double piscina. Most of the windows are of the Early Decorated period, and contain some fragments of stained glass.
The tithes have been commuted - the rectorial for £181, and the vicarial for £161 10s. per annum. There is an old Bible in which is bound a service of thanksgiving for the use of persons (supposed) to be cured of diseases by the king's touch. The Register dates from 1561. Sir H.H. Bacon is impropriator of the great tithes, and patron of the discharged vicarage, which was augmented in 1817 with a Parliamentary grant of £600, and £400 given by the patron and incumbent. It is now in the incumbency of the Rev. William Rimington, B.A., who has a neat residence here.
The NATIONAL SCHOOL is a neat red brick structure with residence attached, and was built in 1857, at the expense of the late Sir Edmund Bacon, Bart. It is attended by 50 children.
The Church Land, 6A. 2R. 22P., was received at the enclosure in exchange for the old Town Lands. At the same time (1822) eight perches were allotted for the site of a school, and 8A. 2R. 8P. for the poor. The latter is let for an average of £20, which, after the payment of rates, is distributed in coals amongst the poor.
POST OFFICE, MONEY ORDER OFFICE, and SAVINGS BANK, at Mr. Arthur Yallop's. Letters from Norwich, viâ Loddon, arrive at 7.40 a.m., and depart at 3.5 p.m.
Andrews John farmer Andrews Richard farmer and parish constable Barber Jonathan market gardener Benns John cowkeeper Bexfield Mrs Margaret Bexfield Thomas James farmer; h Thorpe hall Chenery George grocer and draper Curtis James blacksmith Disney William farmer, Norton hall Evans William wheelwright Edwards James butcher Galer Robert market gardener Greengrass Joseph farmer Hayward Nelson Hylton frmr. Carr hs Holland John deputy parish clerk Nursey Benjamin farmer & assistant overseer Nursey Robert farmer Reeve James marshman Reeve Wm. cowkeeper and marshman Rimington Rev. William, B.A. vicar, Vicarage Roberts James market gardener Scarll James carpenter Shardlow Thomas farmer Shepherd James vict. Cockatrice Inn, and corn, coal, &c. merchant and maltster, Staithe Warner Miss Clara schoolmistress Wentworth William victualler, Swan Inn, and plumber, &c. Wigg Mr George Yallop Arthur grcr. drpr. & postmstr. Yallop Fredk. William shoemaker
See also the Norton Subcourse parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.