Ormesby St Michael
"ORMESBY ST. MICHAEL, or Little Ormesby, is a small village and parish, lying west of Great Ormesby, and six miles N.N.W. of Yarmouth, containing 278 inhabitants, and 900 acres of land, of which 400 acres were enclosed in 1842, and more than 100 acres are in the extensive, but shallow lake, called Ormesby Broad. The principal freeholders are Sir E.H.K. Lacon, and Rd. Glasspoole, Esq., who have handsome mansions here; . . . The Church is a small edifice, with several monuments of the Upcher and Manning families. The perpetual curacy, as already stated [in the entry for Ormesby St Margaret], is consolidated with Ormesby St. Margaret and Scratby. The Revs. G. and C. Lucas are lords of the manor, and B. Caldicot, Esq., has an estate here." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
See also Ormesby St Margaret.
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Flegg, in the archdeaconry of Norwich.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
- The parish church is dedicated to St Michael.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Ormesby St Michael to another place.
Ormesby St Michael is in East Flegg Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for East Flegg and West Flegg Hundreds
- Description of East Flegg and West Flegg Hundreds
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
You can see the administrative areas in which Ormesby St Michael has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TG482148 (Lat/Lon: 52.674196, 1.669235), Ormesby St Michael which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)