William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845
ORMESBY ST. MICHAEL, or Little Ormesby
, is a small village and parish, lying west of Great Ormesby, and six miles N.N.W. of Yarmouth, containing 278 inhabitants, and 900 acres of land, of which 400 acres were enclosed in 1842, and more than 100 acres are in the extensive, but shallow lake, called Ormesby Broad
The principal freeholders are Sir E.H.K. Lacon, and Rd. Glasspoole, Esq., who have handsome mansions here; and in Capt. Glasspoole's is a fine collection of India and Chinese productions, purchased by the owner when in the East India Company's service.
The Church is a small edifice, with several monuments of the Upcher and Manning families. The perpetual curacy, as already stated [in the entry for Ormesby St Margaret], is consolidated with Ormesby St. Margaret and Scratby. The Revs. G. and C. Lucas are lords of the manor, and B. Caldicot, Esq., has an estate here.
The Land left for repairing the Church and relieving the poor, comprises 16A. 2R. 20P., let for £32. 15s. a year, which is partly distributed in coals and blankets.
The principal inhabitants are
Glasspoole Richard, Esq.
Lacon Sir Edmund Henry
Knowles, Bart. Ormesby House
Addy John Beck Benj.
Bullimore Joseph Chapman Geo.
Pollard John Flaxman Robt.
See also the Ormesby St Michael parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.