"OXBOROUGH, or Oxburgh, is an ancient village, on the banks of a rivulet, 3 miles N.E. of Stoke Ferry, and 6½ miles S.W. of Swaffham, comprising in its parish 316 inhabitants and about 2317 acres, all the property of Sir H.R.P. Bedingfeld, Bart., of Oxbrough Hall [sic], which is encompassed by a moat, 52 feet broad, and 10 feet deep, and is one of the most perfect specimens of ancient castellated mansions in the kingdom . . . . The parish CHURCH (St. John the Evangelist) is a large Gothic structure, with five bells and a square tower, surmounted by a lofty octangular spire, rising to the height of 156 feet. It is supposed to have been founded about the reign of Edward I. . . . The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £8. 6s. 8d.; and in 1831, at £516, with Foulden vicarage annexed to it, in the patronage of Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge, and incumbency of the Rev. Rd. Lucas, M.A." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Paddy Apling]
The name of the hall is often found as Oxburgh Hall, at Oxborough.
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Cranwich, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
- The parish church is dedicated to St John the Evangelist.
There is also a Roman Catholic chapel at Oxburgh Hall, dedicated to St Margaret and Our Lady.
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
- 1854: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
- 1864: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
- 1883: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
- 1883: Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk and Suffolk
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Directories
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Oxborough to another place.
Oxborough is in South Greenhoe hundred.
You can see the administrative areas in which Oxborough has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- Oxburgh Hall
- Description, picture and map.
- No author
- Look at Oxburgh Hall.
[ISBN 0863841783, Bessacarr Prints, 1989]
- Bedingfeld, Henry
- Oxburgh Hall, Norfolk: the first 500 years.
[Norwich, Jarrold (for the National Trust), 1982]
- M'Gill, G.H.
- Oxburgh Hall.
[Norwich, Norfolk and Norwich Archaeological Society, in "Norfolk Archaeology", vol.4, 1855]
- Menuge, Adam
- Oxburgh Hall, Oxborough, Norfolk: a survey and investigation of the moated house.
[English Heritage, 2006]
- National Trust
- Oxburgh Hall, Norfolk.
[National Trust, various dates]
- and nearby places.
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Maps
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TF744014 (Lat/Lon: 52.582817, 0.572404), Oxborough which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
These figures are from the population tables which were produced after the 10-yearly national censuses. The "Families" heading includes families and single occupiers.
There may be more people living in detached parts of the parish (if there were any) and, if so, the number may or may not be included in the figures above. It is quite difficult to be sure from the population tables.
- 1861 Census
- "The decrease of population in Oxborough parish is attributed to the removal of cottages."