Hide

Oxnead

hide
Hide

"OXNEAD, a small parish on the east side of the Bure, 2½ miles S.S.E. of Aylsham, has only 56 inhabitants, 641 acres of land, in two farms, and a large duffield, blanket, &c. manufactory, established about 24 years ago, and now employing about 100 hands. S. Bignold, Esq., purchased this manor in 1828, of Viscount Anson, now Earl of Lichfield. From 1423 till 1732, it was held by the Paston family, two of whom were Earls of Yarmouth. . . . The Church (St. Michael,) is a small edifice embowered in trees. The chancel is paved with black and white marble, and has a handsome marble tomb, on which lies the effigy of Clement Paston, who died in 1597. By him lies also the effigy of his wife, and at his feet is a pelican. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £9. 1s. 5d., is consolidated with Buxton and Skeyton." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Richard Johns]

Hide
topup

Cemeteries

Linnell, Charles Lawrence Scruton
Monumental Inscriptions in the Church of St Michael.
[Monumental Brass Society, in "Transactions of the Monumental Brass Society", Vol 9, Part 5, 1955]

See also Norfolk Parish Links: Cemeteries

topup

Church Directories

  • In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Ingworth, in the archdeaconry of Norwich.
    It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date.
  • The parish church is dedicated to St Michael.
topup

Church History

Church of St Michael
Description and pictures.
Church of St Michael
Services, etc.
Crampton, Jehan
St Michael's Church, Oxnead.
[Oxnead, the Church, 1990s]
topup

Church Records

Parish Register Transcripts
Baptisms 1574-1812, Banns 1756-1889, Marriages 1578-1900 and Burials 1573-1809.
[Parish Register Transcription Society, Dart Series, 2000?]
Archdeacons' Transcripts or Bishop's Transcripts
Baptisms, Marriages and Burials.
Marriages
These are not included in Boyd's Marriage Index or Phillimore's Marriage Registers.

See also Norfolk Parish Links: Church Records

topup

Civil Registration

For the civil registration of births, marriages and deaths between 1837 and 1930 (and for the censuses from 1851 to 1901), Oxnead was in Aylsham Registration District.

See also Norfolk Parish Links: Civil Registration

topup

Description & Travel

Oxnead Water Mill
Description, history and pictures.

See also Norfolk Parish Links: Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Oxnead which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

Oxnead is in South Erpingham Hundred.

Parish outline and location.
See Parish Map for South Erpingham Hundred
Description of South Erpingham Hundred
1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk

You can see the administrative areas in which Oxnead has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TG230241 (Lat/Lon: 52.768708, 1.303851), Oxnead which are provided by:

topup

Names, Personal

topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • After 1834 Oxnead became part of the Aylsham Union, and the workhouses were at Buxton and Oulton. These were replaced by a new workhouse at Aylsham in 1849.
  • Buxton and other parishes poor relief and employment act, 1806.
    See Brampton.
topup

Population

These figures are from the population tables which were produced after the 10-yearly national censuses. The "Families" heading includes families and single occupiers.

Year  Inhabited
Houses
FamiliesPopulation
1801  5  654
1811  61147
1821  51053
1831131672
184114--56
185113--57
Year  Inhabited
Houses
FamiliesPopulation
186114--57
1871141461
1881151675
1891131370
1901121253
1911--1572

There may be more people living in detached parts of the parish (if there were any) and, if so, the number may or may not be included in the figures above. It is quite difficult to be sure from the population tables.