William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
OXNEAD, a small parish on the east side of the Bure, 2¼ miles S.S.E. of Aylsham, is in Aylsham union and county court district, Norwich bankruptcy district, Aylsham polling district of North Norfolk, South Erpingham petty sessional division and hundred, Ingworth rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry. It has a rateable value of £1055, and had 75 inhabitants in 1881, living on 674 acres.
The parish belongs to Sir H.J. Stracey, Bart., M.P., the lord of the manor, which from 1423 till 1732, was held by the Paston family, two of whom were Earls of Yarmouth, and one of them was the famous Clement Paston, whom Henry VIII. called his champion; Protector Somerset, his soldier; Queen Mary, her seaman; and Queen Elizabeth, her father. He erected the once splendid mansion of Oxnead Hall, in the reign of Elizabeth, to which additions were made by the first Earl of Yarmouth, who built the banqueting-room to receive Charles II. and his royal and noble attendants, in 1676. The building was in the form of the letter H, but the whole was taken down many years since, except one wing, now occupied by Robert C. Rising, Esq. William Paston, the second Earl of Yarmouth, died without male issue, in 1732.
Six tenements, built by the famous Clement Paston, in 1594, for the residence of the aged servants of his family, are now let by the lord of the manor to poor people at small rents.
Here is a large corn mill, let to Mr. Brown, of Oxnead.
The CHURCH (St. Michael) is a small edifice embowered in trees, and was restored and refitted with new open seats, stone pulpit, &c., in 1857, when the east window was filled with stained glass. The chancel is paved with black and white marble, and has a handsome marble tomb, on which lies the effigy of Clement Paston, who died in 1597. By him lies also the effigy of his wife, and at his feet is a pelican. Here is also an exquisite marble bust of Catherine, wife of Robert Paston, who died in 1636.
The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £9 1s. 5d., is consolidated with Buxton. (See page 184.) The tithes of Oxnead have been commuted for £180 per annum.
POST from Norwich, viâ Hevingham. Buxton is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office and Railway Station.
Brown William & Son millers and merchants; and Burgh Brown William (William & Son); h Burgh Brown Charles Edward (Wm. & Son), and farmer, North farm Ladbrook John foreman Rising Robert Charles fmr. The Hall Smith Charles farmer and carrier
CARRIER - C. Smith to Norwich, Wednesday and Saturday
See also the Oxnead parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.