Norfolk: Oxwick with Pattesley -
1817 - Poor List
Oxwick with Pattesley is one of the few places in the county for which an early list containing names of some villagers survives.
This Norfolk Record Office document [with the reference PD 666/22 and on Microform MF 1404/8 (frames 210,209 and 201)] is on three pages. It was at the written at the back of the Churchwardens' Accounts Book for 1820-1842. The book was inverted before the list was written.
The list contains the following information and the first five people ("Faircloth" to "Fish") appear to be some of the principal inhabitants and rate payers of the village.
The document appears to list all the poor. First those resident in the village are given followed by those whose place of settlement is Oxwick but are currently living outside the village in the places given under "Residence".
These people would be supported by the parish of Oxwick if they were out of work, ill etc. This is borne out by the Overseers' Accounts of 1817 which show payments to Ausley Cook, Yaxley Senr, Elizabeth Loads child, Thomas Basham and Widow Gates plus many others.
This document shows the migration of many families out of the village.
Other accounts available
|- Churchwardens' Accounts -|
|- Overseers' Accounts -|
|- Charities for the Poor -|
|Z(achary). Clark book||1811|
|- Land Tax Accounts -|
|- Town Land Accounts -|
|Terrier & Tenants||1747/8|
[Transcription copyright © Mike Bristow]
It contains the following :-
Population of Parish of Oxwick Norfolk 1817
|--- Faircloth Farmer||1||Oxwick|
|--- Goodwin Do||-||Sherford|
|John Branford Do|
|--- Baker Do||1||Oxwick|
|--- Fish Do||1||Colkirk|
|Wm Firth labr||1||7||Oxwick||9|
|John Firth Do||1||-||Do||2|
|Thos Cook Do||1||Do||2|
|Saml Heagon Do||1||2||Do||4|
|Mary Goodman Widow||-||2||Do||2|
|Ausley [sic] Cook||Colkirk|
|Willm Cook labr||1||4||Colkirk||6|
|Willm Tuck Do||-||-||Do||1|
|Geo Sculfer Do||1||2||Do||4|
|Wm Watling Do||1||4||Do||6|
|Wm Yaxley Senr Do||-||-||Whissonsett||1|
|Wm Yaxley Junr Do||1||3||Do||1|
|Thos Barsham Do||1||3||Do||5|
|Robt King Do||1||3||Do||5|
|Henry Parker Do||1||-||Do||2|
|Wm Curson Do||1||1||Do||3|
|John Curson Do||1||Do||2|
|Robt Cook Do||1||Horningtoft||2|
|Jas Dixon Do||1||-||Do||2|
|Wright Kendle (Note 5)||1||2||Do||4|
|Thos Dixon Do||1||-||Horningtoft||2|
|Benjn High Do||1||6||Salthouse||8|
|Geo Elender Do||1||-||Wells||2|
|--- Smyth Do||1||4||Billingford||6|
|Geo Tuck Do||1||Creake||3|
|--- Gates Widow||-||-||Middleton||1|
|John Billing labr||1||-||Tittleshall||2|
|Free Empson lbr||1||-||Snoring||2|
|Dennis Smith Do||-||-||Hillborough||1|
|Child of Thos Tuck||-||-||Swaffham||1|
|Do of Do||-||-||Gressenhall||1|
|Saml Shickle||-||-||House of Industry||1|
|Child of Eliz Loads||-||-||Tittleshall||1|
|Thos Grant? labr||1||-||Whissonsett||2|
[End of Document]
- 1. "Fmy" is an abbreviation for "Family".
- 2. Blanks in the table above indicate data missing from the original document.
- 3. In other documents the following alternative spellings have been seen which appear to refer to the same people/places:-
Branford/Bramford, Goodwin/Goodwyn and Heagon/Hagon
- 4. In the Rate of 1817 we have the names "Robert Faircloth" (Churchwarden in 1817), "William Goodwin" - Overseer, "Thomas Baker" and "William Fish"
- 5. Wright KENDALL marr. Eleanor CLAXTON 3/Sep/1810 in Horningtoft.
- 6. The population of Oxwick cum Pattesley in 1831 was 79. The population according to White's directory of 1845 was 80 in Oxwick and 16 in Pattesley giving a total of 96 persons. From the numbers in family column, Page 1 has 19 [+c.5] people living in the village so we only have listed perhaps one fifth of the resident population.
- 7. The people living in other places numbered 45 on "Page 2" and 35 on "Page 3" which gives a total of 80 persons.
See also the Oxwick with Pattesley parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Mike Bristow.