William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
OXWICK-CUM-PATTESLEY, 4 miles S. by W. of Fakenham, are two parishes, united for the support of the poor, and containing a few scattered houses, 80 inhabitants, and about 1040 acres, of which 64 souls and 732 acres are in Oxwick, where the Church (All Saints) is situated.
Oxwick is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's Book at £6. 9s. 2d., and in 1831 at £234, in the gift of F.J. Blake, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. T. Paddon. The soil belongs to J.B. Branford, James Day, Esq., and a few smaller owners. The tithes were commuted, in 1842, for £231 per annum.
The Poor's Land, 5A., is let for £8, and the poor have also the interest of £17, which arose from the sale of timber; and 3s. 4d. yearly from Dunham's charity.
The FARMERS are John Bell Branford, (owner,) Matthew Buscall, Sarah Jecks, and John Seaman.
PATTESLEY, 1 mile S. of Oxwick, has only 16 souls, and about 300 acres of land, in one farm, belonging to Lord Chas. Townshend, and occupied by Mr. William Tayton.
Its church was dilapidated many years ago, though some fragments of its walls may still be seen, at the east end of the farm-house. Though rated to the poor and church of Oxwick, its sinecure rectory, valued in the King's Book at £8. 18s. 9d., is consolidated with the vicarage of Mattishall. (See page 319 [which is the entry for Mattishall.]
See also the Oxwick with Pattesley parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.